- The Guardian(UK) 14:28May 1, 2021‘Pre-loved’ fashion moves from niche to mainstream as retailers join the frayWhether they want to save the planet or just a few pounds, clothes buyers are turning to secondhand bargains to fill their wardrobesYounger shoppers are driving a surge in sales of secondhand clothing and furnishings, spurred by the desire to help the environment and find alternative looks to fast fashion.On eBay, sales of “pre-loved” fashion and homewares have shot up in the UK over the past year, with the company selling more than 60 million used items. Murray Lambell, general manager of eBay’s UK business, said: “There is definitely a change in mindset, driven by younger consumers up to the age of 30.” Continue reading...
< Fashion, Environment, Retail industry, Life and style, Business, Ikea, John Lewis, Asda, eBay, Supermarkets >
- New York Magazine 21:49April 22, 2021The John Lewis Voting Rights Act Picks Up SteamWith a broader bill stalled, the Congressional Black Caucus pushes Democrats to restore the original Voting Rights Act.
< politics, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, joe manchin, redistricting, pre-clearance, shelby county v. holder, congressional black caucus, republicans, george w. bush, voting rights act of 1965 >
- The Guardian(UK) 15:38April 17, 2021Landmark UK department stores at risk as Covid changes city centresLocally beloved buildings, from 1930s classics to brutalist edifices, are facing developers’ wrecking ballsCampaigners are organising themselves to prevent the destruction of historic department store buildings around the country, from fantastical brutalist structures to sleek 1930s edifices.The Twentieth Century Society is taking action against the destruction or redesign of seven sites, and has concerns about the future of another 23 threatened by the reinvention of town centres following the pandemic and the shift to online shopping. Continue reading...
< Architecture, Cities, Shops and shopping, Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, John Lewis, House of Fraser, Retail industry, Art and design, UK news, Business, Culture >
- New York Magazine 17:00April 9, 2021What Is the Republican Party’s Position on Voting Rights?The implicit GOP position is to defer to states and localities — so far as their decisions help Republicans.
< politics, voting rights, republicans, democrats, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, donald trump, voter fraud, heritage foundation, election coup, capitol riot, electoral vote count >
- New York Magazine 22:19March 26, 2021What Can Democrats Do About Georgia’s Voting-Rights Restrictions?They are already going to court, and could pass preemptive legislation in Congress. But winning control of the state in 2022 is the best solution.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, brian kemp, stacey abrams, marc elias, new georgia project, 2022 midterms, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights advancement act, voting by mail, early in-person voting, for the people act >
- New York Magazine 21:25March 25, 2021Manchin Values Bipartisanship Over Voting RightsThe West Virginian doesn’t seem interested in voting rights if it means filibuster reform — unless he’s setting up a test Republicans will fail.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, for the people act, bipartisanship, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, early voting, partisan gerrymandering, filibuster reform, covid-19 stimulus, budget reconciliation >
- New York Magazine 20:03March 24, 2021Will Joe Manchin Save Voting Rights?Manchin’s state is afoul of many provisions of the For the People Act. A more modest bill might help convince him to support a filibuster exception.
< politics, voting rights, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, filibuster, joe manchin, for the people act, west virginia >
- The Guardian(UK) 14:37March 24, 2021John Lewis to close eight more stores, putting 1,500 jobs at riskDepartment stores in York, Peterborough, Sheffield and Aberdeen to shut and ‘at home’ shops in Ashford, Basingstoke, Chester and Tunbridge WellsJohn Lewis has confirmed plans to close eight more outlets, including department stores in York, Peterborough, Sheffield and Aberdeen, with the potential loss of almost 1,500 jobs.The company, which reported it first ever full-year loss earlier this month, said it would also close four ‘at home’ stores, in Ashford, Basingstoke, Chester and Tunbridge Wells, as well as the four city centre department stores. Continue reading...
< John Lewis, Retail industry, Business, UK news >
- New York Magazine 20:00March 3, 2021Will Democrats Act Like the Party of Voting Rights or Not?The conservative Supreme Court and GOP are set to do even more damage unless they’re stopped.
< politics, voting rights, shelby county v. holder, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, john lewis, john lewis voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, supreme court, voting rights preclearance, donald trump, joe biden, election conspiracy theories, for the people act >
- Huffington Post UK 09:00February 22, 2021We're Obsessed With Dried Flowers – Here's Where To Buy Them
< Life, Finds, home, Home and Garden, The Brightside, John Lewis, homes, Interiors, Flowers, finds, home-and-garden, the-brightside, john-lewis, interiors, flowers >
- New York Magazine 21:11January 29, 2021Why Democrats Must Keep the Filibuster From Killing Voting RightsWith red states racing to further restrict voting, some limited filibuster reform to allow voting-rights legislation to be passed is now essential.
< politics, filibuster, filibuster reform, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, gerrymandering, voter suppression, mitch mcconnell, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, susan collins, lisa murkowski >
- Business Insider 22:11January 6, 2021Obama says John Lewis is 'smiling down' on Georgia as he congratulates Warnock for his Senate winFormer President Barack Obama congratulated Reverend Raphael Warnock on his Georgia Special Senate Runoff Election win in a statement on Facebook.
< Politics, News, Barack Obama, John Lewis, Senate, Raphael Warnock >
- The Guardian(UK) 19:58November 28, 2020UK supermarkets unite after Sainsbury's advert prompts racist backlashAldi, Asda, Co-op, Iceland, Lidl, Marks & Spencers, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose run ads back-to-back on Channel 4A group of leading UK supermarkets have joined together to take a stand against a racist online backlash that followed Sainsbury’s Christmas advertisement featuring a black family.Aldi, Asda, Co-op, Iceland, Lidl, Marks & Spencers, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Waitrose ran their adverts back-to-back during two primetime slots on Channel 4 on Friday evening, with the hashtag #StandAgainstRacism. Normally, competitors actively avoid airing their ads close together. Continue reading...
< Race, J Sainsbury, Supermarkets, Aldi, Asda, Co-operative Group, Iceland Foods, Lidl, Marks & Spencer, Sainsbury's partner zone, Tesco, Waitrose, Channel 4, John Lewis, Retail industry, Television industry, UK news, Advertising >
- Guardian 22:22November 19, 2020PlayStation 5 launch overwhelms outlets and courier firmsGamers express anger as demand crashes websites and new console sells outGames retailers have been overwhelmed by demand for the latest Sony PlayStation console, which launched in the UK on Thursday.The rush for the Playstation 5 – which in non-pandemic times would have sparked midnight queues and camping outside high street stores – caused the entire John Lewis website to crash for nearly two hours. The department store apologised to shoppers and blamed “extremely high levels of demand” for the technical issues. Continue reading...
< Retail industry, PlayStation 5, Games, Sony, John Lewis, UK news, Business, Technology >