- Business Insider 20:57September 21, 2021Why Amazon wants to make sure everyone knows it's totally cool with smoking pot nowCannabis experts predict more companies will follow Amazon in relaxing marijuana screening to appeal to workers.
< Retail, News, Cannabis, Amazon, Cannabis, Cannabis Legalization, Marijuana, labor shortage, analysis >
- Business Insider 19:29September 21, 2021A chef who offers health benefits, paid vacation, and a 401(k) plan raised base pay to $18 to $24 per hour and says he's not struggling to hire workers"The pandemic gave me an opportunity to start with a blank slate and say, let's rebuild the model and the way we've always done things," he said.
< Retail, Careers, News, Restaraunts, labor shortage, Minimum Wage >
- Business Insider 23:15September 20, 2021Businesses have 3 options to tackle the labor shortage and they all have problemsSome businesses are just working their current staff more - which could only make the problem worse, say researchers at Bank of America.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, labor shortage, labor shortages, $15 Minimum Wage, Wage Inflation, wage pressure, Wage Growth, Policy >
- Business Insider 22:43September 20, 2021The Labor Shortage
< Economy, labor shortage, labor shortages, Geriatric Millennial, Geriatric Millennials, Childcare >
- Business Insider 16:22September 20, 2021Childcare centers say staff are leaving them in droves for better wages, including for $15-an-hour roles at WalmartOne childcare center owner told The Washington Post that some of her former staff now work as bank tellers, nannies, and at a trucking company.
< Economy, News, labor shortage, Jobs, Hiring, Work, Labor, Employment, Unemployment, Childcare, Child Care >
- Business Insider 15:12September 20, 2021A discount store in Maine is closing after losing half its staff. Despite a 'help wanted' sign in the window, only 5 people applied for a job in 6 months, its owner said.The owner of Big Al's Super Values Store appeared to blame jobless benefits. He said people could earn more "working for the government" than for him.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Maine, Work, Jobs, Employment, Unemployment, Hiring, Retail >
- Business Insider 17:28September 19, 2021A Baltimore neighbourhood's last remaining restaurant closes down due to a lack of kitchen staffVillage Square Cafe, which has been operating for nearly 13 years in Cross Keys, is the latest casualty of the ongoing labor shortage, reports say.
< Retail, Economy, News, Weekend BI UK, labor shortage, worker shortage, Economy, Staff Shortage, Restaurant Business, hospitality workers >
- Business Insider 14:46September 19, 2021Employers say 'ghosting coasting' is a growing problem, but workers have their reasons for quietly walking away from a job"We're just understaffed and barely keeping our heads above water and I'm at a complete loss as to how to fix it," one food-service recruiter said.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Ghosting, Rage Quit, Restaurant Industry >
- Business Insider 13:56September 19, 2021I tried Ghost Kitchens' first US restaurant inside a Walmart, and I think it's the perfect model for a fast-food world wracked by the labor shortageGhost Kitchens serves food from more than 20 restaurant brands out of a single kitchen in the front of a Walmart store.
< Retail, Features, Retail, Business Visual Features, Walmart, Ghost Kitchens, Cinnabon, Fast Food, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 19:06September 18, 2021Ports in California have never been this busy, and it's adding to shortages of everything from furniture to electronicsThe traffic jam of vessels is delaying the shipment of products across the US.
< Transportation, News, Economy, Supply Chain, Shipping, Shipping container, delays, Ports, California, world record, record, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Cargo ship, cargo shipping, labor shortage, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:13September 18, 2021A Wisconsin pizza restaurant that's been operating for 64 years is closing down due to the labor shortageThe owner of Red's Pizza & Catering in Wisconsin hopes to sell his business, which his father founded in 1957 to keep the tradition going.
< Retail, Economy, News, Weekend BI UK, restaurant, restaurant workers, labor shortage, Staff Shortage, hospitality workers, Hospitality, Business Owners, Economy >
- Business Insider 11:59September 18, 2021This cafe chain owner who pays $15 an hour says his commitment to treating staff fairly helped him avoid the labor shortageNick Stone, CEO of Bluestone Lane, said he's hired 400 new employees in the last eight months and navigated the labor shortage with ease.
< Retail, Weekend BI UK, Retail, Coffee chain, Bluestone Lane, Australia, Economy, labor shortage, wage dispute, Fair wages, covid economy >
- Business Insider 18:18September 17, 2021Shake Shack, Marriott, and other top companies are facing a painful labor shortage. Here's what executives are saying about the problem.Widespread worker shortages are squeezing hospitals, hotels, restaurants, retailers, and businesses in many other industries.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, Shake Shack, Marriott, Universal Health Services, Johnson & Johnson, Hospitals, Restaurants, Hotels, labor shortage, Wage Inflation >
- Business Insider 13:16September 17, 2021The entire staff of a burrito restaurant in Georgia quit, posting a sign in the window about pay, hours, and a 'lack of appreciation'In a window sign, staff at a Barberitos restaurant in Macon, Georgia, said they'd worked seven days a week for a month - which the restaurant denies.
< Retail, Economy, News, Georgia, Macon, restaurant, labor shortage, Jobs, Hiring, Employment, Unemployment >
- Business Insider 14:58September 16, 2021Coca-Cola's New York distributor says it's short of truckers, after a supermarket CEO complained he was struggling to get hold of the beverage giant's productsLiberty Coca-Cola Beverages, which distributes Coca-Cola's products, said it was offering signing bonuses and free classes to plug a trucker shortage.
< Retail, Economy, News, Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola company, New York, New York City, labor shortage, Supply Shortage, supply chain crisis, Trucker Shortage, truck driver shortage >
- Business Insider 14:51September 16, 2021Some restaurants are closing dining rooms again, but owners blame staffing shortages, not COVIDMcDonald's, Dunkin', Wendy's, Starbucks, and Chick-fil-A have all had to close dining rooms or adjust hours because they didn't have enough workers.
< Retail, Retail, Fast Food, drive thru, McDonald's, Dunkin, Wendy's, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 18:18September 15, 2021'Ghosting coasting' is the latest labor challenge for employers, where under-qualified hires disappear before they can be firedThe social disappearing act has arrived in the workplace in a new way as US employers scramble to find staff in a tight labor market.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Federal Reserve, Beige Book, Restaurants >
- Business Insider 18:09September 15, 202185% of small restaurants across the US say it's still very difficult to find staff, according to a new surveyTwo in three small businesses say they're struggling to hire staff in the labor shortage - and restaurants appear to be the worst hit.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Restaurants, Hiring, Employment, Unemployment, Work, Jobs, SMB, SMBs >
- Business Insider 12:51September 15, 2021A Portland restaurant owner said job applications are up 50% since unemployment benefits ended. But other restaurants say they're still scrambling to find workers.Some restaurants in states that stopped the federal benefits months early, like Alabama and Florida, are still struggling to find staff.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Jobs, Employment, Unemployment, Hiring, Work, Florida, Alabama, Portland, Oregon, FPUC >
- Business Insider 12:12September 13, 2021Mohamed El-Erian says supply-chain disruptions around the world may last a couple of years - and bring 1970s-style stagflationary headwinds to the global economy"The culprit is some mix of disrupted supply chains, high transportation costs, container scarcity and congested ports," El-Erian said.
< Markets, Economy, MI Exclusive, Markets, Mohamed El-Erian, El-Erian, Supermarket, Stagflation, Inflation, Supply Chain, Labor Market, labor shortages, Economy, Markets and Economy >
- Business Insider 17:53September 12, 2021A sushi restaurant chain in California has been forced to close all 9 locations once a week because of a staff shortageThe owner of Mikuni Restaurant Group told KCRA his attempts to find new staff have been unsuccessful, leading to temporary closures every Monday.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Retail, labor shortage, Worker Conditions, Labor Conditions, Labor crisis, Hiring, Economy, restaurant chain, restaurant workers >
- Business Insider 18:08September 11, 2021A Dunkin' coffee shop in Colorado is temporarily closing after the number of staff fell from 15 to 3 and it couldn't find anyone to replace themOnly three employees worked at a Dunkin' Donuts store in Colorado Springs before the labor shortage forced it to temporarily close down.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Dunkin' Donuts, Dunkin, Retail, Labor crisis, labor shortage, Hiring, restaurant chain, restaurant workers, Fast Food, Economy >
- Business Insider 19:29September 10, 2021Starbucks' pumpkin cold brew drink is so popular, some workers say they're struggling to keep it in stock even though there's no shortage of base ingredientsStarbucks workers told Insider Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is so popular that they're unable to keep up with demand due to the lengthy brewing process.
< Retail, Retail, Starbucks, Fast Food, labor shortage, Cold Brew, PSL, pumpkin spice >
- Business Insider 19:14September 10, 2021This small town in Illinois is offering people $5,000 to move there to help plug its labor shortage. Its mayor says the streets are lined with 'help wanted' signs.Quincy, Illinois, has more than 700 full-time vacancies in "virtually every segment," Mayor Mike Troup said.
< Economy, News, Illinois, labor shortage, Jobs, Work, Employment, Unemployment, Hiring, Midwest, Weekend BI UK >
- Business Insider 12:53September 10, 2021A trucker shortage means some water suppliers could get permission to dump partially treated sewage into UK rivers and the seaThe trade body Water UK told Insider that a shortage of truck drivers had disrupted the supply of ferric sulfate, a treatment chemical.
< Economy, News, Transportation, labor shortage, Supply Shortage, UK, Sewage, Environment, Truck driver, truck driver shortage, Trucker Shortage >
- Business Insider 11:03September 10, 2021The UK economy grew just 0.1% in July, as rising coronavirus cases and supply shortages stalled the recoveryEconomists said global supply-chain disruptions are making themselves felt in the UK economy, which was also hit by rising COVID-19 cases.
< Markets, MI Exclusive, Markets, UK GDP, UK Economy, coronavirus cases, delta variant, supply chains, labor shortages >
- Business Insider 19:57September 8, 2021Another 4 million workers just quit for the fourth month in a row, and it shows how Americans are rethinking work in a way they haven't in decadesWorkers have been quitting in record droves for a third of the year now, but the Delta variant could change that - or make it even worse.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, Quit, quit job, Quitting, Quitting job, quitting your job, JOLTS, Pandemic, labor shortage, labor shortages, BI Graphics >
- Business Insider 17:09September 8, 2021US job openings hit another record high as the labor shortage charged into JulyThere were 0.8 available workers for each job opening in July, signaling the labor shortage loomed large even as hiring boomed through the summer.
< Economy, Markets, Economy, JOLTS, Job Openings, Job Openings and Labor Turnover survey, Economic Data, Economic Indicators, Labor Market, Labor market data, US Labor Market, Hiring, hiring rate, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 16:44September 8, 2021An understaffed Dallas restaurant is renting robots for $15 a day to welcome guests and take food to tablesThe owner of La Duni told CNN that staff were previously "overwhelmed, overworked, and frustrated" - using robots was a "no brainer."
< Retail, News, Tech Insider, labor shortage, Restaraunts, Robots >
- Business Insider 18:00September 7, 2021Volvo workers in Virginia say the labor shortage helped them score a 12% pay rise: reportStriking workers rejected two offers from Volvo before reaching a better deal with a pay rise and a freeze on healthcare premiums, AP reported.
< Transportation, Economy, News, Volvo, Virginia, labor shortage, united auto workers, Strike, automaker >
- Business Insider 13:54September 7, 2021A Michigan restaurant owner relies on friends to pick up shifts because she can't find enough workers to wait tables: reportKarina Fernandez, owner of Maple Café in Edwardsburg, Michigan, told WSBT she can't compete with big chains who can offer large hiring bonuses.
< Retail, News, Economy, restaurant, labor shortage, Workers, Eating out, Food, Wages >
- Business Insider 13:13September 7, 2021A 74-year-old doughnut shop in Detroit has temporarily shut because of a staff shortage as well as soaring ingredient costs, a report saysDutch Girl Donuts had 15 or more staff on its rota before the pandemic - now it has fewer than 10, the owners' daughter said.
< Retail, Economy, News, labor shortage, Supply Shortage, Detroit, Michigan, Retail, Economy, Employment >
- Business Insider 16:47September 6, 2021Employment in restaurants, bars, and cafes just fell for the first time since April 2020. The Delta variant of COVID-19 is probably to blame.Jobs in food services and drinking places fell by 42,000 in August - the first decline since the onset of the pandemic - as Delta swept the country.
< Economy, Retail, News, labor shortage, Hospitality, BLS, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Jobs Report, Work, Employment, Jobs, Hiring, Unemployment, Restaurants >
- Business Insider 15:50September 6, 2021Ikea has run out of 10% of its products in its UK and Ireland stores, amid the truck driver shortage and shipping crisisAround 1,000 product lines - out of 9,000 - are unavailable in Ikea's 21 stores in the UK and Ireland, a company spokesperson told Insider.
< Retail, News, Ikea, Retail, Truck, Trucker Shortage, labor shortage, transport, driver shortage >
- Business Insider 15:00September 6, 2021A Missouri restaurant worker used the labor shortage to get a new job at Domino's, win a quick promotion, and buy a second vehicle, a report saysExperts say it's a job-seekers' market where, for the first time in years, employees have the upper hand.
< Retail, News, Domino's, Fast Food, Workers, labor shortage >
- Business Insider 14:02September 6, 2021Some companies in Florida and Alabama are still struggling to find staff months after the states cut enhanced COVID-19 unemployment benefitsBusiness owners have blamed the enhanced COVID-19 jobless benefits for a labor shortage that has forced them to slash opening hours and raise prices.
< Economy, News, labor shortage, Alabama, Florida, Jobs, Work, Unemployment, Federal unemployment benefits, Unemployment benefits, CARES Act, FPUC >
- Business Insider 22:33September 5, 2021School districts across the country are dealing with severe substitute teacher shortages, despite efforts to recruit and pay them moreIn an effort to keep and recruit qualified substitutes, several school districts in California and Georgia gave per-day raises for both short and long-term subs.
< Economy, Education, News, labor shortage, substitutes, Teaching, COVID, delta variant, School Districts, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 15:10September 5, 2021Meet 3 people who quit food-service jobs during the labor shortage: 'Every day that I went to work, there was this significant dread'"People need to be paid what they're worth, and it's just not like that in the restaurant industry," a worker who temporarily left the industry said.
< Economy, Markets, Retail, Economy, Food Service, food service industry, Restaurants, labor shortage, quit job, Economic Recovery >
- Business Insider 15:17September 4, 2021Some restaurant staff are at breaking point amid tough working conditions. One former worker says men frequently yelled at her over mask mandates.A crippling labor shortage, coupled with pandemic working conditions, has restaurant workers mentally and physically exhausted.
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Restaurant Business, labor shortage, Labor crisis, hospitality workers, Hospitality, Labor Conditions >
- Business Insider 15:17September 4, 2021Starbucks calls its workers 'partners', but some who are trying to unionize say the chain isn't living up to that promiseStarbucks employees are technically partners, because they receive shares of the company that begin vesting after one year.
< Retail, Retail, Starbucks, Fast Food, Union, labor shortage, New York >
- Business Insider 13:37September 3, 2021A restaurant manager in Northern Virginia was so desperate for staff that she hired people with bad attitudes who scared off customers, a report saysSarah White, of the Lost Dog Cafe in Virginia, told AP that she has had to hire rude people to fill job vacancies - but they're deterring customers.
< Retail, News, Retail, Virginia, restaurant, labor shortage, Workers, Employment, Jobs, Customers, Hospitality >
- Business Insider 13:28September 3, 2021Vermont has a new solution to tackle labor crunch: It will pay you $7,500 to move and work in one of its most in-demand jobsVermont's most in-demand jobs include anything from fast-food, restaurant, and retail workers to construction and farmworkers.
< Retail, News, Vermont, relocate, grant, labor shortage, Workers, Unemployment >
- Business Insider 12:58September 3, 2021The owners of a cafe in California say 9 in 10 applicants don't show up to their interviewsSome other applicants accept a position and then just don't turn up for their first shift, the owners of Cafe Elk Grove near Sacramento said.
< Retail, Economy, News, California, labor shortage, Work, Jobs, Employment, Economy, Restaurants, Hospitality, Sacramento >
- Business Insider 11:25September 3, 2021A trucker's hourly pay rose by $10 overnight because of a driver shortage - but he said he still wanted to quit driving anywayBeing a truck driver means sacrificing time with family because of the unsociable working hours, Reddy told the BBC's Wake Up to Money radio program.
< Transportation, News, transport, Transportation, Trucking, Truck driver, Truck, driver shortage, worker shortage, labor shortage, Pay rise >
- Business Insider 19:44September 2, 2021Some Chicago parents are getting $1,000 stipends for transit, Uber, or Lyft to get kids to school as the labor shortage hits bus driversMore than 70 Chicago bus drivers quit right before the school year began because the school system requires all employees to be fully vaccinated.
< Economy, Markets, Politics, Economy, labor shortage, bus drivers, school, Back to School, Policy >
- Business Insider 19:29September 2, 2021McDonald's, Burger King, and other chains can hire workers as young as 14. Here are some jobs they can do and others that are off limits.Young teenagers are restricted in the jobs they can do by the Department of Labor, and are mostly limited to registers and cleaning.
< Retail, Retail, McDonald's, Burger King, Fast Food, labor shortage, Teens, gen z, Department of Labor >
- Business Insider 20:36August 31, 2021An Oregon McDonald's is so desperate for workers it hung a huge banner outside calling on 14-year-olds to applySome restaurants around the US have had to close their dining rooms over lack of workers, so franchisees are looking for alternatives.
< Retail, News, Retail, Fast Food, McDonald's, drive thru, labor shortage, Restaurants >
- Business Insider 22:23August 29, 2021About 1 in 8 nurses haven't gotten a COVID-19 vaccine or don't plan to get one, a new survey finds, setting up the potential for more staffing shortages at hospitalsThe survey from the American Nurses Association surveyed nurses across the US to learn more about the questions nurses have about vaccines.
< Healthcare, News, COVID, COVID-19, coronavirus, Vaccine, covid vaccine, vaccine mandate, Nurse, Healthcare, labor shortage, worker shortage, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:23August 28, 2021Chicken chain Bojangles will close restaurants for 2 days to give workers a break - but won't pay them during their time off, reports sayBojangles will close its Southern-fried chicken restaurants on August 30 and September 13. It says staff can use the time off to "rest and recharge."
< Retail, News, Weekend BI UK, Retail, Bojangles, Food, labor shortage, North Carolina, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 14:24August 26, 2021The CEO of a smoothie chain with 1,000 stores says his best-performing cafes are the ones that pay staff the mostThe CEO of Tropical Smoothie Cafe said the labor shortage had hit his chain, but that the best cafes "pay more. It's pretty simple that way."
< Economy, Strategy, Retail, News, labor shortage, restaurant, Restaurant Industry, cafe, Hiring, Employment, Hospitality >