- Business Insider 12:46May 14, 2021Tesla has been hit with a class-action lawsuit over its Solar Roof price hikes, led by customer who says his contract got jacked up from $71,000 to $146,000In April, Tesla raised prices for Solar Roof customers waiting on installation. Matthew Amans, leading the class-action, said his price doubled.
< Tech Insider, Tesla, Solar roof, solar power, lawsuit, Elon Musk >
- Petapixel 17:52May 6, 2021Photojournalist Arrested at BLM Protest Wins Lawsuit Against PoliceAn independent photojournalist that sued the D.C. Police following his arrest for filming a protest in 2020 has won a settlement. During a racial justice protest in August 2020, Kian Kelley-Chung, a local Black journalist and documentarian, was arrested among 40 other people, DCist reports. The 23-year old journalist and his film partner, Andrew Jasiura, […]
< Culture, News, blacklivesmatter, blm, kiankelleychung, lawsuit, nationalpressphotographersassociation, nppa, police, policebrutality, protest, protestphotography, protestphotos, settlement >
- Observer 18:00May 5, 2021Meghan Markle Just Won the Final Copyright Claim in Her Tabloid LawsuitLawyers acting on behalf of Queen Elizabeth denied that the Crown held any copyright claim over a private letter the Duchess of Sussex wrote to her father.
< Associated Newspapers, British Royal Family, british royal family news, British Royals, British Tabloid, Duchess of Sussex, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, mail on sunday, Royal family news, royal lawsuits, Royal news, royals >
- Business Insider 05:04May 4, 2021Tesla ordered by judge to turn over documents related to Elon Musk's $55 billion compensation planA shareholder lawsuit argued Musk's pay plan wasted corporate funds, and that Musk may have strong-armed his way into getting the plan approved.
< Tech Insider, Transportation, Tesla, Elon Musk, CEO pay, Executive compensation, Lawsuits, Shareholder, corporate boards >
- Business Insider 02:24May 4, 2021Dominion is accusing Sidney Powell of promoting 'defamatory falsehoods' to attract money and fameThe election software company is suing the former Trump campaign attorney for defamation and seeking $1.3 billion in damages.
< Law, Politics, Sidney Powell, Dominion Voting Systems, Rudy Giuliani, lawsuit, 2020 election >
- Business Insider 18:46May 3, 2021Apple and the maker of 'Fortnite' are facing off in an epic legal battle. Here's what the companies are fighting about and what to expect in the courtroom.A major court battle between Apple and "Fortnite" maker Epic Games is about to start where both Tim Cook and Tim Sweeney are scheduled to appear.
< Tech Insider, Entertainment, Law, Video Games, Lawsuits, Apple, Epic, Epic Games, Fortnite, iOS, iPhone, iPad, App Store, iOS App Store, Apple App Store, Gaming, Smartphones >
- Business Insider 15:36May 3, 2021Read the 2 a.m. declaration of war Apple CEO Tim Cook got from the billionaire CEO behind 'Fortnite' before the companies head to court this weekIn an email to Apple leadership, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney laid out plans to intentionally violate Apple's App Store terms of service.
< Tech Insider, Entertainment, Law, Video Games, Lawsuits, Gaming, Epic, Epic Games, Apple, Apple App Store, App Store, Fortnite, Unreal Engine, Epic Games Store >
- Business Insider 03:48May 1, 2021Former Netflix executive convicted of fraud after orchestrating more than $500,000 in bribes and kickbacksAs Netflix's IT chief, Michael Kail approved contracts with tech startups in exchange for kickbacks, even buying a house with the funds, a jury found.
< Tech Insider, Entertainment, Media, Advertising, Enterprise, Netflix, lawsuit, Bribery, Kickback, Fraud, Startups >
- Business Insider 20:05April 28, 2021Google is facing a lawsuit after a privacy flaw in its contact tracing tech exposed Android users' data to third-party appsThe lawsuit alleges that Google exposed participants' private personal and medical information when they opted into using contact tracing apps.
< Tech Insider, News, Apple, Google, lawsuit, tech companies, Data Privacy >
- Business Insider 02:52April 28, 2021MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell claimed in a lawsuit against the Daily Mail that churches are disassociating with him because the tabloid reported he had a secret romance with Jane KrakowskiBoth Lindell and Krakowski denied a Daily Mail report that he had a "secret nine-month romance" with the "30 Rock" star.
< Media, Entertainment, Mike Lindell, Jane Krakowski, Daily Mail, Lawsuits, MyPillow >
- Business Insider 01:09April 24, 2021Arizona judge suspends Republican vote 'audit' being conducted by Cyber Ninjas, a Florida company led by a pro-Trump conspiracy theoristDemocrats sued to stop the audit, noting it is being conducted by a firm, Cyber Ninjas, whose founder promoted pro-Trump conspiracy theories.
< Law, Politics, Arizona, 2020 election, Maricopa County, Democrats, lawsuit, election audit >
- Business Insider 03:42April 17, 2021Roger Stone sued by federal government for nearly $2 million in unpaid taxes and interestThe complaint was filed Friday. The government accuses the couple of using their company Drake Ventures to avoid paying personal income tax.
< Politics, Roger Stone, Lawsuits, Taxes, Florida, State income tax >
- Business Insider 06:11April 8, 2021Ex-Rep. Katie Hill loses lawsuit against Daily Mail for publishing nude photos of her, accuses judge of thinking 'revenge porn is free speech'"Today, we lost in court because a judge - not a jury - thinks revenge porn is free speech," Hill tweeted in response to a judge dismissing the case.
< Politics, Katie Hill, Daily Mail, Lawsuits, Revenge Porn >
- Business Insider 05:09April 7, 2021NAACP's Trump insurrection lawsuit expected to add 10 new plaintiffs, including members of Congress, per reportsLawyers for the civil rights organization brought the suit on behalf of Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi in February, following the Jan. 6 riot.
< Politics, Donald Trump, NAACP, lawsuit, Capitol attack, Bennie Thompson >
- Business Insider 01:27April 2, 2021Uber ordered to pay $1.1 million to blind passenger who was denied rides 14 separate timesUber unsuccessfully argued it wasn't responsible for drivers denying rides to the woman and her guide dog because its drivers are contractors.
< Tech Insider, Transportation, Uber, Lawsuits, Settlements, Americans with Disabilities Act, Gig Workers, Gig economy, Rideshare, Lyft >
- Huffington Post UK 09:50April 1, 2021Capitol Police Officers Sue Trump For Physical, Emotional Injuries Suffered In Riot
< News, Politics, Donald Trump, capitol riot, Lawsuit, capitol police, donald-trump, capitol-riot, lawsuit, capitol-police >
- Business Insider 05:49March 31, 20212 Capitol police officers who were on duty during the January 6 siege sued Trump for inciting riotThe lawsuit from the two Capitol police officers followed lawsuits from two Democratic lawmakers in connection to the Capitol siege.
< Politics, Capitol Siege, capitol police, Donald Trump, Lawsuits >
- Breitbart News 23:51March 30, 2021Montana AG: 'We Have Strong Constitutional Case' in Lawsuit Against Biden's Keystone Pipeline ShutdownMontana Attorney General Austin Knudsen said President Joe Biden’s executive order to shut down the Keystone XL pipeline is unconstitutional.
< Economy, Politics, Attorneys General, Austin Knudsen, Constitution, Jobs, Joe Biden, Keystone XL Pipeline, lawsuit, Montana >
- Petapixel 23:57March 29, 2021Photographer Wins Copyright Battle Over Warhol’s Use of Her PhotoA U.S. appeals court has ruled in favor of photographer Lynn Goldsmith in her copyright dispute over how Andy Warhol had used her portrait photo of Prince. The New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Prince Series of artwork created by Warhol is not transformative, and therefore it violates Goldsmith’s copyright. […]
< Culture, Law, News, andywarhol, copyright, copyrightinfringement, dispute, infringement, lawsuit, legal, lynngoldsmith, prince >
- Business Insider 16:30March 29, 2021The UK Competition Authority accused Facebook of monopolizing the global supply of GIFs on purchasing GiphyThe UK's Competition and Markets Authority has highlighted "competition concerns" after Facebook's multi-million dollar purchase of Giphy in May 2020.
< Tech Insider, Tech Contributors, International, International Contributors, Nordic, BI General Contributors, BI International, Business Insider España, Jeevan Ravindran, Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Data, Antitrust, antitrust lawsuit, Antitrust Investigation, Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), Competition and Markets Authority, Competition Laws, Giphy, GIFs, Tenor, Google, Monopoly >
- Petapixel 20:47March 27, 2021Sony Sued: Class-Action Lawsuit Says a7 III Shutter is Bricking CamerasSony has been hit with a class-action lawsuit by a consumer who claims that the popular Sony a7 III has shutter defects that brick the camera and force owners to pay for expensive repairs. Law Street Media reports that the plaintiff, a man named John Guerriero, filed the class-action complaint in the Southern District of […]
< Equipment, Industry, Law, News, a7iii, classaction, classactionlawsuit, designflaw, failure, flaw, johnguerriero, lawsuit, legal, shutterfailure, sony, sonya7iii, sued >
- Observer 17:55March 22, 2021Meghan Markle’s Front Page Statement from Her Tabloid Lawsuit Victory Is DelayedThe Duchess of Sussex will have to wait while Associated Newspapers files an appeal.
< Associated Newspapers, british royal family news, British Royals, British Tabloid, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, mail on sunday, Royal family news, royal lawsuits, Royal news, royals >
- Business Insider 03:56March 20, 2021Amazon will pay contract delivery drivers $8.2 million to settle a wage-theft lawsuitContract delivery drivers alleged Amazon was to blame for drivers not receiving legally required breaks and overtime.
< Tech Insider, Transportation, Retail, Amazon, delivery drivers, Lawsuits, Gig Workers, Gig economy, contract employees, Delivery services, Amazon Flex, Amazon Prime, Working Conditions, Labor Abuse >
- New York Magazine 23:01March 18, 2021Becerra Confirmed as HHS Secretary in Closest Vote YetThe California attorney general drew special Republican heat for antagonizing anti-abortion activists and for challenging Donald Trump in court.
< politics, xavier becerra, joe biden, biden cabinet, kamala harris, jerry brown, california, anti-abortion movement, medicare for all, lawsuits, susan collins, neera tanden >
- Petapixel 23:01March 15, 2021Judge Rules Images of Enslaved Are Property of Harvard, Not DescendantA Massachusetts judge has dismissed a woman’s lawsuit claiming that she is the rightful owner of the images of an enslaved father and daughter and not Harvard, the New York Times reports. The judge cites common law that the content of an image cannot be used to claim ownership of that image, regardless of the […]
< Culture, News, commonlaw, daguerreotype, enslaved, harvarduniversity, historical, history, law, lawsuit, opinion, renty, ruling, slavery, slaves, sued, tamaralanier, THICS >
- Business Insider 13:45March 14, 2021A lawsuit that accused Google of collecting the data of people who were using incognito mode can continue, said a federal judgeA federal judge denied Google's request to dismiss a suit claiming users weren't notified that the company gathered their data during private browsing
< Tech Insider, Weekend BI UK, Google, Incognito, lawsuit, Legal, Chrome, ad tracking >
- Business Insider 09:13March 14, 2021A lawyer filed more than 100 lawsuits over vanilla flavoring in foods and drinks, arguing most of it is fakeSynthetic vanillin is derived from things like wood pulp, clove oil, and - at one point - the anal glands of beavers.
< Law, Vanilla, Lawsuits >
- Business Insider 00:02March 13, 2021Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes is pregnant, and is requesting her federal trial to be delayed againFormer Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes is pregnant, and is asking to have her federal trial delayed until the end of August after she gives birth.
< Tech Insider, Law, Elizabeth Holmes, Theranos, Pregnant, Federal Court, Fraud, Lawsuits >
- Business Insider 23:20March 12, 2021A Tesla investor has sued the company's board and Elon Musk, claiming Musk's 'erratic' tweets violate an SEC settlementMusk's tweets have cost the company billions of dollars and caused "substantial" harm to Tesla, the lawsuit alleges.
< Tech Insider, News, Tesla, Elon Musk, SEC, Twitter, lawsuit >
- Business Insider 03:13March 12, 2021Apple is suing a former advanced materials engineer, accusing him of stealing trade secrets for a journalistApple accused an 11-year veteran of stealing insider info, including about top-secret projects, to gain positive media coverage for his startup.
< Tech Insider, Enterprise, Apple, MacBook, Lawsuits, Trade Secrets >
- Observer 16:30March 9, 2021The Louvre Has Been Sued for Making Changes to a Gallery With a Cy Twombly CeilingThe Cy Twombly Foundation is incensed about paint and floor changes made to a Louvre gallery that features a Twombly ceiling.
< ceiling, lawsuit, Louvre renovations >
- Business Insider 23:34March 8, 2021Jeff Bezos has been awarded $218,000 in legal fees after fighting off a defamation suit brought by his girlfriend's brother. Here's how the Amazon CEO became embroiled in a tangled web of lawsuits and family drama.The lawsuit followed a scandal that erupted in 2019, when the National Enquirer revealed details of Jeff Bezos' relationship with Lauren Sanchez.
< Tech Insider, Features, Jeff Bezos, Amazon, Washington Post, Michael Sanchez, Michael Sanchez lawsuit, Lauren Sanchez, National Enquirer, AMI, David Pecker, Mohammed bin Salman >
- Business Insider 20:47March 8, 2021Jeff Bezos was awarded a small portion of the $1.7 million in legal fees he wanted from his girlfriend's brother after a judge said hiring 18 lawyers for the case was unreasonableBezos originally wanted Michael Sanchez to reimburse him for $1,676,919.50 in attorney fees and $36,019.26 in other costs.
< Tech Insider, Jeff Bezos, Michael Sanchez, Amazon, Lauren Sanchez, Michael Sanchez lawsuit >
- Observer 19:18March 2, 2021Meghan Markle Was Awarded an Initial $627,000 in Her Privacy LawsuitAssociated Newspapers will have to pay 90 percent of her legal costs.
< Associated Newspapers, British Royal Family, British Royals, Celebrity lawsuits, Duchess of Sussex, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, mail on sunday, Royal family news, royal lawsuits, Royal news, royals >
- Business Insider 16:03February 28, 2021Why I'm suing McDonald's for discrimination along with 76 other Black former franchiseesI played 6 seasons in the NFL and never took a hit as hard as the ones McDonald's put on me during my 24 years as an operator in Atlanta.
< Opinion, Retail, Law, Lawsuits, Opinion, BI Commentary, McDonald's, Retail, black franchisees, race discrimination >
- Business Insider 18:40February 27, 2021Judge approves $650 million settlement of Facebook privacy lawsuit linked to facial photo taggingFacebook users claimed the company violated an Illinois law that prohibits a private entity from collecting biometric identifiers without consent.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, Privacy, lawsuit, Class-action Lawsuit, Social Media, Facial Recoginition >
- Business Insider 21:04February 25, 2021Experts say Dominion and Smartmatic could win their defamation lawsuits, but MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell says they have 'zero' shotTrump-backers Rudy Giuliani, Sydney Powell, and Mike Lindell face defamation lawsuits from Dominion and Smartmatic that may succeed, experts say.
< Politics, Retail, News, Rudy Giuliani, Mike Lindell, MyPillow, Dominion Voting Systems, Smartmatic, CNBC, Election 2020, Trump, Biden, lawsuit, Misinformation >
- Business Insider 01:03February 23, 2021Trump and his allies filed more than 40 lawsuits challenging the 2020 election results. All of them failed.Since Donald Trump lost in November 2020, Republicans have filed dozens of lawsuits challenging the presidential election results. They've won zero.
< Politics, Election 2020, News, 2020 election, Donald Trump, mail-in ballots, mail-in voting, Texas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, election lawsuits >
- Petapixel 22:25February 22, 2021Photographer Sues Hilary Duff for Defamation Over ‘Creep’ ClaimPhotographer Darryl Wilkins has reportedly filed a lawsuit against celebrity Hilary Duff and talk show host Wendy Williams, accusing the two of defamation by suggesting that Wilkins could be a child predator after Duff filmed Wilkins photographing her son’s soccer game in a public park. It all began back in February 2020 when Duff noticed […]
< Culture, Law, News, defamation, dispute, hilaryduff, lawsuit, legal, slander, wendywilliams >
- Business Insider 19:49February 20, 2021At least two lawsuits filed against Texas' energy committee claim it was aware of shortcomings in the state's energy supply from previous winter stormsOne lawsuit filed in Harris County is seeking up to $10 million in damages from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, or ERCOT.
< News, Energy, Law, Texas, ERCOT, Electric Reliability Council of Texas, outages, Power outage, Lawsuits, Energy >
- Business Insider 18:51February 20, 2021The trouble with the 'troubled teen' label and the behavioral modification industry behind itThe industry says it has changed. A recent lawsuit and discussions with industry professionals underscores it has not.
< Opinion, Healthcare, News, Opinion, BI Commentary, Healthcare, Mental Health, Teenagers, Legal, Lawsuits >
- Observer 20:09February 19, 2021Cy Twombly’s Louvre Ceiling Has Been Altered Without Permission, Foundation ClaimsAccording to the Cy Twombly Foundation, they were not aware that the gallery where the ceiling is located was undergoing renovations.
< ceiling, damage, Gallery, Hellenistic art, lawsuit, Louvre >
- Business Insider 23:32February 18, 2021Unsealed court document claims Facebook 'knew for years' that a metric was inflated and ignored an employee warning to avoid a revenue hitFacebook executives "took steps to conceal the problem" with its inflated Potential Reach metric, the unredacted court document says.
< Tech Insider, Advertising, News, Facebook, US District Court, lawsuit, Sheryl Sandberg, Mark Zuckerberg, Advertising, Revenue >
- Business Insider 08:23February 17, 2021Amazon's legal battle with New York heats up as AG Letitia James sues the company over COVID-19 safety measuresAmazon sued New York last week in an unusual attempt to stop the state from bringing its own lawsuit over the company's pandemic response.
< Tech Insider, Retail, Transportation, Politics, Amazon, New York, Letitia James, Attorneys general, Working Conditions, Lawsuits, COVID-19, coronavirus >
- Petapixel 20:13February 15, 2021Photographer Sues Kat Von D Over Miles Davis TattooA photographer has filed a lawsuit against celebrity tattoo artist Kat Von D, accusing her of infringing on his copyright by using his photo of iconic jazz musician Miles Davis as a tattoo for a client. Los Angeles-based photographer Jeff Sedlik created the iconic portrait of Davis in 1989, and the photo was subsequently published […]
< Culture, Law, News, copyright, copyrightinfringement, jeffsedlik, katvond, lawsuit, legalbattle, milesdavis, tattoo >
- Coindesk 14:15February 12, 2021T-Mobile Sued Over SIM Attack That Resulted in Loss of $450K in BitcoinThe plaintiff lost 15 bitcoin after an interaction with a T-mobile customer who had been victim of a SIM-swapping attack.
< News, Lawsuit, T-Mobile, sim attack >
- Observer 19:42February 11, 2021Meghan Markle Wins Privacy Claim Against U.K. TabloidThe Duchess of Sussex sued the Mail on Sunday and its publisher, Associated Newspapers, for invasion of privacy and copyright infringement, over the publication of excerpts of a private letter the Duchess wrote to her father.
< Associated Newspapers, British Royal Family, British Tabloid, celebrity news, Duchess of Sussex, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, mail on sunday, Royal family news, royal lawsuits, Royal news, royals >
- Business Insider 20:37February 8, 2021The parents of a 20-year-old who died by suicide after thinking he lost $730,000 on Robinhood are suing the stock-trading appAlexander Kearns died by suicide on June 12, 2020, and his parents are now filing a wrongful death lawsuit against Robinhood.
< News, Tech Insider, Robinhood, Death, Suicide, Lawsuits >
- New York Magazine 06:14February 6, 2021Fox Business Cancels Lou DobbsThe canning of the longtime host, Trump-booster, and stolen-election propagandist prompted a statement of support from the former president.
< the media, lou dobbs, fox business, fox news, contested election, politics, smartmatic, lawsuits >
- Petapixel 20:10February 5, 2021Lebron James Settles with Photog in Lawsuit Over Misuse of PhotoAfter nearly a year in litigation and after filing a countersuit, Lebron James is settling with a photographer over his alleged misuse of a photo on social media. The lawsuit alleged that James misappropriated an image for his social media feed without compensating the photographer. This case stemmed from a photo that James posted to […]
< Culture, News, copyright, copyrightinfringement, Facebook, instagram, law, lawsuit, lebronjames, settlement, SteveMitchell >