- New York Magazine 18:29September 15, 2021Surrendering to Republicans on Voting Rights Won’t Save DemocracyJoe Manchin seems to think voting-rights reforms have to be bipartisan to work. But letting Republicans run wild won’t encourage them to compromise.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, voter suppression, ned foley, republicans, democrats, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, voting rights act of 1965, u.s. supreme court, 2022 midterms, vision 2024, kyrsten sinema >
- New York Magazine 20:30August 25, 2021What Would the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act Actually Do?The legislation, which just passed the House again, would slow down state voter-suppression measures. But it is opposed by nearly all Republicans.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, filibuster, lisa murkowski, brian fitzpatrick, voting rights act of 1965, pre-clearance requirement, voter suppression, shelby county v. holder, brnovich v. dnc >
- Breitbart News 01:03August 14, 2021Sharpton: Texas Republicans Playing 'Role that Many Segregationists Played in the 60s'MSNBC host Al Sharpton said Friday on "Deadline" that Republicans in the Texas Senate and the House we're "beginning to play the role that many segregationists played in the '60s" by attempting to pass voting legislation in a special session.
< Clips, Media, Politics, Al Sharpton, Nicolle Wallace, Texas, voter fraud, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 22:21July 26, 2021J.D. Vance: How About We Give Parents Extra Votes?The Senate candidate’s trollish proposal is just the flip side of Republicans’ usual thinking on voter suppression.
< politics, 2022 midterms, voting rights, voter suppression, j.d. vance, 2022 ohio republican senate primary, natalism, mitt romney, conservative christians, nancy pelosi, nancy pelosi, joe biden >
- New York Magazine 18:00July 24, 2021Democrats Can’t Out-Organize a Gerrymander — or Outflank Joe ManchinVoting rights advocates shouldn’t expect Biden to do the impossible in Congress, while Biden should understand there are laws you cannot out-organize.
< politics, voting rights, joe biden, voter suppression, filibuster, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, 2022 midterms, republicans, democrats >
- New York Magazine 00:40July 15, 2021Is It Finally Time to Begin Calling Trumpism Fascism?The abrupt lurch of MAGA into opposition to democracy and celebration of insurrection is a new development.
< politics, trumpism, fascism, capitol riot, peronism, franco, falange, voter suppression, never trump, ashli babbit, joe biden >
- New York Magazine 00:22July 9, 2021Kamala Harris Unveils Another Fallback Strategy for Voting RightsGetting voters to the polls despite hostile state laws is a valuable Plan B for voting rights, not a mere a gesture after failure in Congress.
< politics, voting rights, kamala harris, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, merrick garland, section 2 voting rights act, voter suppression, republicans, filibuster, filibuster reform, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema >
- New York Magazine 20:04July 1, 2021Supreme Court Smiles on Voter Suppression and Big DonorsAfter showing caution all term, the conservative majority closed by eroding the Voting Rights Act and threatening campaign finance reform efforts.
< politics, u.s. supreme court, voting rights, voter suppression, samuel alito, john roberts, elena kagan, sonia sotomayor, brnovich v. dnc, americans for prosperity v. bonta, shelby county v. holder, merrick garland, campaign finance reform, donor disclosure >
- New York Magazine 23:08June 29, 2021Bipartisan Voting-Rights Legislation May Simply Be ImpossibleThe pious hopes of Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema notwithstanding, we are in a historic moment, like Reconstruction, when one party is incorrigible.
< politics, voting rights, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, reconstruction, bipartisanship, joe manchin, kyrsten sinema, voter suppression, 14th amendment, 15th amendment, jim crow, donald trump, voter fraud, voter id >
- New York Magazine 20:47June 25, 2021Justice Department Sues to Stop Georgia Voting LawWith Republicans filibustering voting rights legislation in Congress, the Justice Department is using litigation to go after Georgia’s notorious law.
< politics, georgia election law, voter suppressionm, merrick garland, kristen clarke, brian kemp, stacey abrams, section 2 voting rights act of 1965, shelby county v. holder, u.s. supreme court, brnovich v. dnc, donald trump, vision 2020, election coup, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act >
- New York Magazine 21:02June 23, 2021Democrats’ Voting Rights Push Stalled. It Was Still Worth It.The effort to enact the For the People Act was a smart investment that will pay off richly for Democrats.
< politics, voting rights, filibuster reform, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, joe manchin, stacey abrams, voting rights act of 1965, u.s. supreme court, mitch mcconnell, donald trump, joe biden, voter suppression >
- Business Insider 13:48June 23, 2021Chuck Schumer compared McConnell to Southern senators who fought civil rights reforms in the '60s over GOP opposition to the voting rights billAfter a major bill designed to protect voting rights was blocked by Republicans, Schumer likened McConnell's logic to the opponents of civil rights.
< Politics, Chuck Schumer, Mitch McConnell, Voting Rights Act, Civil Rights, Voter suppression, News UK, UK Weekend >
- New York Magazine 23:50June 11, 2021Merrick Garland Unveils Plan B for Protecting Voting RightsAs new congressional legislation stalls, the Justice Department will utilize the powers it already possesses to fight voter-suppression measures.
< politics, voting rights, merrick garland, department of justice, civil rights division, kristen clarke, shelby county v. holder, u.s. supreme court, section 2 voting rights act, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, voter suppression, election audits >
- New York Magazine 02:01June 8, 2021What Would the John Lewis Voting Rights Act Actually Do?Restoring the Voting Rights Act would slow down voter suppression measures in the states. But Joe Manchin is wrong that Republicans won’t kill it too.
< politics, voting rights, joe manchin, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, filibuster, lisa murkowski, brian fitzpatrick, voting rights act of 1965, pre-clearance requirement, voter suppression >
- Business Insider 13:39June 7, 2021Sen. Joe Manchin defended his opposition to the Democratic voting-rights act, and said he thinks Republicans will vote for the bipartisan bill he's suggestingManchin, a Democrat, announced on Sunday he would vote against the For the People Act, a sweeping bill proposed by his party to defend voting rights.
< Politics, Joe Manchin, Voting Rights, Voter suppression, Democratic Party, News UK >
- New York Magazine 16:00May 30, 2021Democrats Need a New Plan to Defend Voting RightsThe outlook is dim for voting rights legislation. DOJ enforcement and voter mobilization may be Democrats’ best shot for defending democracy.
< politics, voting rights, john lewis voting rights advancement act, for the people act, john roberts, kristen clarke, joe biden, voter suppression, shelby county v. holder, joe manchin, filibuster reform, lisa murkowski, donald trump, maga, voting rights act of 1965 >
- New York Magazine 02:57May 27, 2021Election ‘Audit’ Fever Spreads Beyond ArizonaFrom New Hampshire to Wisconsin and even California, recounts are being used to supposedly vindicate Trump and justify voter suppression.
< politics, vision 2020, election coup, maricopa county audit, arizona, wisconsin, donald trump, maga, voter suppression, robin vos >
- New York Magazine 00:40May 21, 2021The Future Could Actually Be Bright for RepublicansThe GOP comeback will likely begin with retaking the House in 2022, then probably the Senate, and maybe the presidency.
< politics, republicans, 2022 midterms, 2024 elections, u.s. house, u.s. senate, donald trump, joe biden, election coup, voter suppression, capitol riot, democrats, demographics, nonwhite voters, white working-class voters >
- New York Magazine 18:55May 18, 2021Is Joe Manchin’s Voting-Rights Campaign Serious?The West Virginia senator is calling for bipartisan action to restore the Voting Rights Act. But absent filibuster reform, it may not matter.
< politics, john lewis voting rights advancement act, voting rights, joe manchin, for the people act, filibuster reform, shelby county v. holder, voting rights preclearance, voter suppression, joe manchin, lisa murkowski >
- New York Magazine 00:11May 7, 2021Tish James Wants In on Jacob Wohl Election Robocall SuitNew York’s AG moved to join a federal suit over Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman’s alleged voter-suppression plot, seeking fines of $2.75 million.
< letitia james, jacob wohl, jack berkman, politics, 2020 election, voter suppression >
- Breitbart News 06:03April 27, 2021Poll: Overwhelming Majority Support Requiring ID to VoteA poll released Monday by Fox News shows an overwhelming majority of voters support the requirement to show a valid ID to prove citizenship before voting.
< Politics, Fox News, H.R. 1, voter fraud, Voter ID, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 01:24April 22, 2021After the Voting Wars, Who’s Likely to Turn Out in 2022?The net impact of laws to suppress or expand voting rights is unclear, and will compete with many factors affecting the level and shape of turnout.
< politics, 2022 midterms, voter turnout, voting rights, voter suppression, donald trump, 2018 midterms, 2021 elections, 2014 midterms, joe biden, republicans, democrats >
- New York Magazine 23:56April 20, 2021Trump Says Georgia Election Law Is ‘Far Too Weak’The former president’s message to Republicans is that using election laws to screw over the opposition isn’t just acceptable – it’s mandatory.
< politics, georgia election law, donald trump, brian kemp, racism, no-excuse voting by mail, early in-person voting, vision 2020, voter suppression >
- New York Magazine 16:00April 17, 2021Jim Crow’s Ominous Lessons on Voter SuppressionRepublicans bristle at talk of Jim Crow 2.0, but there are clear echoes of the era of Black disenfranchisement in their drive for voting restrictions.
< politics, voting rights, jim crow, reconstruction, racism, segregation, white primaries, poll taxes, voter suppression, populism, tom watson, jamelle bouie, democrats, republicans, georgia election law >
- Breitbart News 21:42April 16, 2021Rand Paul Defends State Election Reform Laws: ‘Democrat Party Is the Party of Jim Crow’Sen. Rand Paul rebuked Democrat attempts to identify Republican efforts to enact state election reform with Jim Crow laws and voter suppression.
< 2020 Election, Politics, Social Justice, Cher, Chuck Schumer, Democrat Party, Election Reform, Georgia, Jim Clyburn, Jim Crow Laws, Joe Biden, Rand Paul, Republican Party, voter fraud, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 21:18April 16, 2021Can Suppressing Votes Save Brian Kemp?Kemp is using Georgia’s new election law to heal a breach with Trump-loving conservatives but so far has drawn only a gadfly primary opponent.
< politics, georgia election law, 2022 midterms, voter suppression, voting rights, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, vernon jones, donald trump, doug collins, vision 2020, election coup, covid-19, republicans, georgia senate runoffs >
- Breitbart News 04:50April 16, 2021Strikeout!: MLB Favorability Among Republicans Crashes 35 PercentMajor League Baseball's favorability rate among Republicans has collapsed 35 percent, down from 47 percent to 12 percent in only a month.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, MLB, MLB All-Star Game, Rob Manfred, social justice, Voter Suppression >
- Business Insider 19:06April 15, 2021'Voter suppression' or 'voter fraud'? A Quinnipiac poll shows Democrats and Republicans are totally split on which is the real threatThe poll, published Thursday, found that more Democrats thought suppression to be the larger issue, while Republicans were more concerned about fraud.
< Politics, News, Speed, Voting, Politics, election, Voter Fraud, Voter suppression >
- Business Insider 18:42April 12, 2021Voting laws in states like Georgia are getting a lot of attention, but New York City is also failing to secure the right to vote for some of its most marginalized citizensIncarcerated people in New York City are promised the right to vote, but the city is failing them. The Department of Corrections must do something.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Bill de Blasio, Prisoners, Jail, Voting Rights, Voter suppression, New York City >
- Business Insider 16:04April 12, 2021It's now or never for Democrats: either pass H.R. 1 or watch voter suppression bills like Georgia's become the normIf the Democrats can't come together to pass HR 1 into law, they stand to lose elections for the next 10 years or more.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Voting Rights, Georgia, Voter suppression, Democrats, Republicans >
- New York Magazine 02:37April 8, 2021Why Republicans Think They Can Regain Power Without Repudiating TrumpismFrom the midterm precedents to the belief that Trump expanded the GOP’s reach, Republicans have a host of reasons to be complacent.
< politics, republican party, trumpism, donald trump, election coup, voter fraud, capitol riot, joe biden, 2022 midterms, 2024 elections, redistricting, voter suppression, white working-class voters, jim banks >
- Breitbart News 02:25April 8, 2021Report: MLB Commish Pulled All-Star Game from Atlanta After Talking to Stacey AbramsAccording to a report, MLB Commish Rob Manfred shocked MLB owners with the timing of his decision to pull the All-Star Game from Atlanta.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Atlanta Braves, MLB, MLB All-Star Game, Rob Manfred, social justice, Stacey Abrams, Voter Suppression >
- Breitbart News 18:06April 7, 2021Former MLB Commish: Rob Manfred Made a 'Serious Mistake' by Pulling Out of GeorgiaFormer MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent blasted current Commish Rob Manfred for pulling the league's All-Star Game out of Georgia.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Fay Vincent, MLB, MLB All-Star Game, Rob Manfred, social justice, Voter Suppression >
- Business Insider 16:00April 6, 2021Texas Gov. Abbott refuses to throw Rangers' first pitch after MLB moves All-Star Game in voting rights protestTexas Governor Greg Abbott won't throw the first pitch of the Texas Rangers All-Star Game in protest over MLB's stance on voter suppression laws.
< Politics, News, Major League Baseball, Greg Abbott, Voter suppression >
- Breitbart News 06:20April 6, 2021MLB Moves All-Star Game to Colorado, Which Has Voter ID and Fewer Early Voting Days than GAMLB is expected to announce that they will move their All-Star Game from Atlanta, Georgia, to Denver, Colorado, according to a report.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, All-Star Game, Colorado, MLB, Rob Manfred, Voter Suppression >
- Breitbart News 05:20April 5, 2021MLB Requires Photo ID to Pick Up Tickets Yet Blasts Georgia for Voter ID LawMLB hypocritically requires a photo ID for fans to pick up tickets at stadium box offices even as it attacks Georgia's voter ID law.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Atlanta Braves, Brian Kemp, MLB, Rob Manfred, Stacey Abrams, Voter ID, Voter Suppression >
- Breitbart News 18:45April 4, 2021Schumer Blasts 'Racist' Voter Law, Invites MLB All-Star Game to New YorkSenate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer blasted Georgia's "racist" voter reform law and invited MLB to move their All-Star Game to New York.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Atlanta Braves, Chuck Schumer, MLB, racism, Rob Manfred, social justice, Voter Suppression >
- Breitbart News 07:32April 4, 2021PGA Tour to Keep Tour Championship in Georgia Despite Outcry over Voter LawThe PGA Tour Championship will remain in Georgia despite demands to remove it due to the state's recently passed voter reform law.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, golf, PGA, social justice, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 19:00April 3, 2021The States Following Georgia’s Lead on Voter SuppressionSimilar voting restrictions could soon be enacted in key Republican-controlled states like Arizona, Florida, New Hampshire, and Texas.
< voting rights, voter suppression, georgia election law, florida, arizona, texas, new hampshire, virginia, dan patrick, voting by mail, drop boxes, voter id, voter registration >
- Breitbart News 02:03April 3, 2021LeBron James, Liberal Elites Celebrate After MLB Takes All-Star Game from GeorgiaThe internet exploded with reaction Friday after MLB decided to take its All-Star Game away from Atlanta's Truist Park in response to the state's new voter integrity law.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, MLB, Rob Manfred, social justice, Truist Park, Voter Suppression >
- Business Insider 12:06April 1, 2021Ben Shapiro said long lines at polling places aren’t a sign of voter suppression, comparing them to Disneyland queuesThe conservative radio host was defending Georgia's new election law, which Democrats say target minorities and amount to voter suppression.
< Politics, Ben Shapiro, Georgia, Voter suppression, News UK, Speed >
- New York Magazine 23:03March 30, 2021Georgia Trooper Claims Legislator’s Knock Raised Fears of January 6 RepeatWas Governor Brian Kemp really endangered by Park Cannon tapping on his door in hopes of watching him sign a controversial election bill?
< politics, voting rights, georgia election law, park cannon, brian kemp, stacey abrams, georgia state patrol, voter suppression, 2022 midterms, donald trump, capitol riot >
- New York Magazine 20:47March 30, 2021Why Are Republicans Promoting Gratuitously Cruel Election Restrictions?Cracking down on food and water for voters standing in long lines is intended to be a cruel but effective way to reduce voting by Democrats.
< politics, voting rights, voter suppression, food and water, georgia voting law, florida, brad raffensperger, donald trump >
- New York Magazine 01:35March 30, 2021Raffensperger’s Support for Georgia’s Voter Suppression Law Won’t Save HimGeorgia’s secretary of state blasphemed against Trump, and that’s all that matters to his fellow Republicans.
< politics, vision 2020, election coup, donald trump, brad raffensperger, brian kemp, jody hice, david bell isle, doug collins, david perdue, vernon jones, voter suppression, voting by mail, voting rights, 2022 midterms >
- Breitbart News 04:31March 29, 2021WaPo Columnist Calls for Georgia to Lose All-Star Game Over Election Integrity LawA former ESPN commentator is calling for the MLB to pull its All-Star Game from Georgia over the state's new election integrity law.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Atlanta Braves, Kevin Blackistone, MLB, MLB All-Star Game, racism, social justice, Voter Suppression >
- Breitbart News 19:41March 24, 2021Watch - Chuck Schumer: State Voting Laws 'One of the Greatest Threats We Have to Modern Democracy in America'Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) likened basic election integrity measures embraced by several states, such as voter ID, to the era of Jim Crow and accused the GOP of attempting to suppress voters. He made the remarks during Wednesday's Senate Rules and Administration Committee hearing on S 1, or the "For the People Act," which critics warn will strip power from the states and federalize U.S. elections.
< Politics, Chuck Schumer, election integrity, For the People Act, voter fraud, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 21:26March 12, 2021Churchy Republicans Attack ‘Souls to the Polls’A crackdown on Sunday voting is one of the more hypocritical of the voting-suppression methods pursued by Georgia’s Christian right.
< politics, voting rights, voter suppression, georgia, sunday voting, early in-person voting, souls to the polls, republicans, jody hice, doug collins, brian kemp, karen handel, ralph reed, christian right, donald trump, conservative evangelicals, johnson amendment >
- Breitbart News 19:34March 5, 2021LeBron James, NBA to Fight 'Voter Suppression' During All-Star WeekendL.A. Lakers star LeBron James said he intends to use the All-Star Game weekend to fight "voter suppression" as the NBA comes to Atlanta's State Farm Arena on Sunday.
< Politics, Social Justice, Sports, Keisha Lance Bottoms, LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers, More Than a Vote, NBA, NBA All Star Game, Voter Suppression >
- New York Magazine 23:36February 25, 2021Republicans Return to Old Voter-Suppression PlaybookTrump shifted the focus to phony vote-by-mail fraud claims, but Republicans tried to limit all kinds of voting pre-2020 — and they’re at it again.
< politics, voting rights, voting by mail, in-person early voting, souls to the polls, minority voting, georgia, iowa, voter suppression, donald trump, voter fraud, red mirage, vision 2020 >
- New York Magazine 22:09February 24, 2021Agonized Georgia Republicans Long for Herschel Walker to Run for SenateA battered and deeply divided state party bent on suppressing Black votes could use a Trump-friendly Black sports legend.
< politics, georgia senate runoffs, donald trump, vision 2020, joe biden, raphael warnock, herschel walker, celebrity apprentice, georgia bulldogs, college football, jon ossoff, david perdue, kelly loeffler, doug collins, marjorie taylor greene, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, voter suppression, stacey abrams, 2022 midterms, republican party >