- The Guardian 07:53May 7, 2021Texas lawmakers race against the clock to push through new voting restrictionsLegislators began debating a bill Thursday night that would restrict voting in what is already the hardest state to vote in nationwideTexas lawmakers are locked in a fight over legislation that would further restrict voting access, as Republicans lean on procedural moves to avoid public testimony and keep eleventh-hour negotiations behind closed doors.“No rules are going to contain them. No norms are going to protect us. They’re gonna do whatever they want to, and whatever they can, to get these bills through,” said Emily Eby, staff attorney at the Texas Civil Rights Project. Continue reading...
< Texas, US voting rights, US politics, US news, World news >
- New York Magazine 18:49May 6, 2021DeSantis Signs Voting Restrictions Into Law in Fox News ‘Exclusive’The Florida governor turned the enactment of yet another restrictive Republican voting measure into a segment on Fox & Friends.
< ron desantis, voting rights, florida, politics >
- Breitbart News 03:45May 6, 2021Pelosi: Our Chances of Holding the House 'Would Be Better' If We Pass H.R. 1During an interview aired on Wednesday’s “PBS NewsHour,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said that Democrats will have a better chance of holding the House in 2022 if they pass H.R. and S. 1 “in order to remove obstacles to
< Clips, Politics, 2022 elections, H.R. 1, Nancy Pelosi, voting, voting rights >
- Breitbart News 08:47May 5, 2021Abrams: 'As a Partisan,' I Worry New Voting Laws Could Cause Dems to Lose in 2022During an interview with “PBS NewsHour” Senior National Correspondent Amna Nawaz on Tuesday, former Democratic Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams stated that, “as a partisan,” she is worried that the various voting laws passed in several states could cause Democrats, who are
< Clips, Politics, 2022 elections, Democrats, Stacey Abrams, voting, voting rights >
- Breitbart News 04:16May 1, 2021Clyburn: America Isn't a Racist Country, We Need to Weed out 'Racist Things' Done by Some PlacesDuring an interview aired on Friday’s edition of CNN’s “AC360,” House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) stated that “we should stop arguing about whether or not this is a racist country. It is not.” Clyburn also said that there are
< Clips, Politics, James Clyburn, Tim Scott, voting rights >
- Breitbart News 06:41April 29, 2021Tim Scott: Outrage Over Georgia Election Law Not About Civil Rights, It's About Rigging Elections in the FutureSenator Tim Scott (R-SC) said that "outrage" over Georgia's new election integrity legislation "is not about civil rights, or our racial past, it's about rigging elections in the future."
< Politics, Georgia, Jim Crow, Joe Biden, Tim Scott, voting rights >
- New York Magazine 14:00April 28, 2021Democrats Are Shooting for the Moon in 2021, and That’s OkayThe usual choice between getting things done and holding on to power is no choice at all for Democrats right now.
< politics, joe biden, democrats, budget reconciliation, joe manchin, 2022 midterms, vision 2020, wokeness, socialism, republicans, voting rights, covid-19, american rescue plan, congress, u.s. senate, senate parliamentarian, partisan polarization, bipartisanship, kevin mccarthy, donald trump, redistricting >
- Business Insider 16:39April 24, 2021GOP Rep. Burgess Owens says its 'an insult' to compare the new Georgia voting law to Jim Crow"The soft bigotry of low expectations now projected on Black Americans ... is being done by the Democratic Party," Owens said during a Senate hearing.
< Politics, News, Burgess Owens, Georgia voting bill, Voting Rights, Jim Crow, GOP, President Joe Biden, weekend BI US >
- New York Magazine 21:49April 22, 2021The John Lewis Voting Rights Act Picks Up SteamWith a broader bill stalled, the Congressional Black Caucus pushes Democrats to restore the original Voting Rights Act.
< politics, voting rights, john lewis voting rights act, for the people act, joe manchin, redistricting, pre-clearance, shelby county v. holder, congressional black caucus, republicans, george w. bush, voting rights act of 1965 >
- New York Magazine 01:24April 22, 2021After the Voting Wars, Who’s Likely to Turn Out in 2022?The net impact of laws to suppress or expand voting rights is unclear, and will compete with many factors affecting the level and shape of turnout.
< politics, 2022 midterms, voter turnout, voting rights, voter suppression, donald trump, 2018 midterms, 2021 elections, 2014 midterms, joe biden, republicans, democrats >
- Business Insider 20:29April 21, 2021The New York state legislature approved a bill that would immediately restore voting rights to prisoners once they are releasedThe bill signed by the New York State Assembly on Wednesday will now be sent to New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo for him to sign.
< Politics, News, Speed, Breaking, Voting, Felons, prisons, Voting Rights >
- New York Magazine 16:00April 17, 2021Jim Crow’s Ominous Lessons on Voter SuppressionRepublicans bristle at talk of Jim Crow 2.0, but there are clear echoes of the era of Black disenfranchisement in their drive for voting restrictions.
< politics, voting rights, jim crow, reconstruction, racism, segregation, white primaries, poll taxes, voter suppression, populism, tom watson, jamelle bouie, democrats, republicans, georgia election law >
- New York Magazine 21:18April 16, 2021Can Suppressing Votes Save Brian Kemp?Kemp is using Georgia’s new election law to heal a breach with Trump-loving conservatives but so far has drawn only a gadfly primary opponent.
< politics, georgia election law, 2022 midterms, voter suppression, voting rights, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, vernon jones, donald trump, doug collins, vision 2020, election coup, covid-19, republicans, georgia senate runoffs >
- Business Insider 21:08April 15, 2021McConnell reportedly wants GOP senators to praise Manchin and Sinema, so they won't move to scrap filibusterHe told Senate Republicans that the Democratic duo could "save this institution" with their resistance to eliminating the filibuster, Politico reports.
< Politics, Economy, Markets, Policy, Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, Republicans, Democrats, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Minimum Wage, Voting Rights, Stimulus, Immigration Reform, Economy, Filibuster, filibuster reform, Reconciliation >
- Business Insider 17:52April 14, 2021Walmart, Delta, and Coca-Cola refused to join hundreds of other companies in opposing restrictive voting laws - here's whyJPMorgan Chase, led by Jamie Dimon, and Home Depot also didn't sign the full-page ad that ran in the New York Times and Washington Post.
< Politics, News, Walmart, Delta, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, JPMorgan Chase, Jamie Dimon, Georgia, Georgia voter restrictions, Voting Rights >
- Breitbart News 02:15April 14, 2021Wall Street, Corporations Team Up with Soros-Funded Group to Pressure States Against Election ReformsWall Street firms, multinational corporations, and giant law firms are teaming up with the Brennan Justice Center, which is heavily funded by billionaire George Soros, to pressure states against reforms to their voting laws.
< Economy, Politics, Brennan Center, corporations, George Soros, Georgia, Jim Banks, Open Society Foundation, Texas, Voter ID, voting rights, Wall Street >
- Business Insider 23:01April 13, 2021Florida, Michigan, and Texas are the next frontiers in the nationwide battle over voting accessRepublican lawmakers in the three 2020 battlegrounds are advancing legislation to restrict voting by mail before 2022.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Elections, Florida, Texas, Michigan >
- Business Insider 18:42April 12, 2021Voting laws in states like Georgia are getting a lot of attention, but New York City is also failing to secure the right to vote for some of its most marginalized citizensIncarcerated people in New York City are promised the right to vote, but the city is failing them. The Department of Corrections must do something.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Bill de Blasio, Prisoners, Jail, Voting Rights, Voter suppression, New York City >
- Business Insider 16:04April 12, 2021It's now or never for Democrats: either pass H.R. 1 or watch voter suppression bills like Georgia's become the normIf the Democrats can't come together to pass HR 1 into law, they stand to lose elections for the next 10 years or more.
< Opinion, Politics, Opinion, BI Commentary, Voting Rights, Georgia, Voter suppression, Democrats, Republicans >
- Business Insider 22:14April 11, 2021Corporate executives set to join effort to increase voter access in the wake of new voting laws: WSJThe statement from business leaders in support of increased voter access could be released as soon as this week, according to The Wall Street Journal.
< Politics, Economy, Chief executive officer, Business Leaders, Voting Rights, Kenneth Chenault, Kenneth Frazier, Corporations, Georgia voting laws >
- Business Insider 16:32April 11, 2021Corporations are standing up and defending our democracy from Republican attacks. But we can't rely on the goodwill of big business to fix the country's problems.Companies like Delta and MLB are standing up to GOP attacks on voting rights. But trusting big business to protect our democracy isn't sustainable.
< Opinion, Politics, Georgia, Major League Baseball, GOP, Voting Rights, BI Commentary, Opinion, Republican Party >
- Business Insider 15:50April 10, 2021Corporate America wants to avoid higher taxes and social issues. That's not likely to happen.On a range of political issues, businesses have felt compelled to speak out. But many are silent when it comes to tax hikes, if not hostile.
< Economy, Politics, Markets, analysis, Delta, Coca-Cola, Georgia, Joe Biden, Infrastructure, Democrats, Republicans, Mitch McConnell, infrastructure plan, Stimulus, Voting Rights, Policy, Economy >
- New York Magazine 17:00April 9, 2021What Is the Republican Party’s Position on Voting Rights?The implicit GOP position is to defer to states and localities — so far as their decisions help Republicans.
< politics, voting rights, republicans, democrats, for the people act, john lewis voting rights act, shelby county v. holder, donald trump, voter fraud, heritage foundation, election coup, capitol riot, electoral vote count >
- New York Magazine 23:53April 8, 2021Manchin Closes Door on Gutting the Filibuster, But It Gets WorseDemocrats have a West Virginia shaped thorn in their sides.
< politics, joe manchin, filibuster, budget reconciliation, chuck schumer, bipartisanship, kyrsten sinema, for the people act, voting rights, capitol riot, donald trump >
- Breitbart News 19:51April 8, 2021Hillary Clinton Issues Ultimatum: Preserve the Filibuster or Minority Voting Rights: 'We Can't Do Both'Twice failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton issued an ultimatum on Thursday, contending Congress must choose between preserving the filibuster or protecting voting rights for minorities. But doing both, she suggested, is an impossibility.
< Politics, election integrity, Filibuster, Georgia, Hillary Clinton, voting rights >
- New York Magazine 22:00April 7, 2021Voting Restrictions Aren’t the Primary Threat to U.S. DemocracyThe GOP is better at denying Democratic voters equal representation than it is at denying them access to the ballot.
< georgia, voting rights, for the people act, democracy reforms, politics, progressives >
- New York Magazine 16:00April 7, 2021Six Bad Ideas About Voting That Republicans Need to AbandonThe GOP insists its efforts in Georgia and beyond aren’t about voter suppression, but its faulty assumptions are preventing real election reform.
< politics, voting rights, donald trump, georgia election law, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, corporate boycotts, stacey abrams, voting rights act of 1965, shelby county v. holder, capitol riot, election coup >
- Business Insider 21:29April 3, 2021Rep. Jim Clyburn called Joe Manchin's push for bipartisanship over passage of voting rights legislation 'insulting'Manchin is the only Democratic senator who has not signed on as a cosponsor to S. 1 and opposes changing filibuster rules to aid the bill's passage.
< Politics, Jim Clyburn, Joe Manchin, Voting Rights, Senate Democrats, For the People Act >
- Business Insider 20:11April 3, 2021Amazon says it supports expanding voting rights but it gave $500,000 to lawmakers who oppose those effortsAmazon blasted states' voter suppression efforts after years of supporting GOP lawmakers who have made it harder for Americans to vote.
< Politics, Tech Insider, Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Voting Rights, Corporate PAC Spending 2021, PR, Money in politics, Georgia voting bill, hq2 >
- New York Magazine 19:00April 3, 2021The States Following Georgia’s Lead on Voter SuppressionSimilar voting restrictions could soon be enacted in key Republican-controlled states like Arizona, Florida, New Hampshire, and Texas.
< voting rights, voter suppression, georgia election law, florida, arizona, texas, new hampshire, virginia, dan patrick, voting by mail, drop boxes, voter id, voter registration >
- Business Insider 17:09April 3, 2021Atlanta Mayor says the MLB moving All-Star Game from Georgia 'is likely the first of many dominoes to fall' in pushback against new voting lawMLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said that the decision to move the All-Star Game and MLB Draft was "the best way to demonstrate our values as a sport."
< Politics, Sports, News, keisha lance bottoms, MLB, All-Star Game, Atlanta, Georgia, Georgia voting bill, brian kemp, Baseball, Voting Rights >
- Business Insider 14:38April 3, 2021Delta spent the pandemic earning goodwill from passengers and workers. It might be about to vanish.Delta's response to Georgia's controversial voter rights legislation is damaging the sterling reputation that it has spent years building.
< Transportation, Travel, News, Planes, BITranspo, CT Visual Features, Delta Air lines, Flying, Aviation, Airlines, Black Lives Matter, Crisis Communication, Crisis Management, air travel, Georgia, brian kemp, sb202, Voting Rights, analysis >
- New York Magazine 00:37April 2, 2021Georgia Republicans Working Hard to Sabotage a 2022 ComebackGeorgia’s GOP could be upbeat heading towards the midterms. But the voting law debacle and a Trump purge could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
< politics, georgia voting law, georgia republicans, donald trump, geoff duncan, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, burt jones, georgia senate runoffs, raphael warnock, stacey abrams, voting rights, 2022 midterms, redistricting, election coup, vision 2020, joe biden >
- Breitbart News 20:27April 1, 2021Georgia House Passes Bill Removing Delta Tax Break After CEO CriticismGeorgia Republicans voted to strip Delta Air Lines of a multi-million dollar jet fuel tax break Wednesday.
< Economy, Politics, Pre-Viral, Brian Kemp, Delta Air Lines, Georgia, voting rights >
- Business Insider 19:52April 1, 2021Florida, Michigan, and Texas are the next frontiers in the nationwide battle over voting accessRepublican lawmakers in the three 2020 battlegrounds are advancing legislation to restrict voting by mail before 2022.
< Politics, Voting Rights, Elections, Florida, Texas, Michigan >
- Breitbart News 23:18March 31, 2021Hillary Clinton Supports Repealing the Filibuster: 'Should Be Lifted for Constitutional Matters'Former Secretary of State and twice-failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has joined the chorus of Democrats supporting the elimination of the Senate filibuster, arguing it should be done away with for "constitutional matters."
< Politics, Brian Kemp, Election Reform, Filibuster, Georgia, Hillary Clinton, voting rights >
- New York Magazine 21:58March 31, 2021Corporate America Is Suddenly Concerned About Georgia’s Voter-Suppression LawVoting-rights activists are making it clear companies can’t sit on the fence without repercussions.
< politics, voting rights, georgia election law, delta airlines, coca-cola, boycott, atlanta >
- Business Insider 23:39March 30, 2021JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon defends voting rights following Georgia's new restrictive voting lawJP Morgan Chase's CEO is one of the first prominent CEOs to condemn Georgia's new voting law.
< Politics, Speed, Georgia election, Voting Rights, JP Morgan, Jamie Dimon >
- New York Magazine 23:03March 30, 2021Georgia Trooper Claims Legislator’s Knock Raised Fears of January 6 RepeatWas Governor Brian Kemp really endangered by Park Cannon tapping on his door in hopes of watching him sign a controversial election bill?
< politics, voting rights, georgia election law, park cannon, brian kemp, stacey abrams, georgia state patrol, voter suppression, 2022 midterms, donald trump, capitol riot >
- New York Magazine 20:47March 30, 2021Why Are Republicans Promoting Gratuitously Cruel Election Restrictions?Cracking down on food and water for voters standing in long lines is intended to be a cruel but effective way to reduce voting by Democrats.
< politics, voting rights, voter suppression, food and water, georgia voting law, florida, brad raffensperger, donald trump >
- Business Insider 20:26March 30, 2021Activists pressure Atlanta-based companies like Coca-Cola and Delta to take action against Georgia voting lawCoca-Cola, Delta, and Home Depot all gave statements in support of voting rights, but critics say they didn't do enough to address the specific bill.
< Retail, News, Politics, Retail, Coca-Cola, Delta, delta airlines, Home Depot, Georgia, Politics, News, Boycott, Voting Rights >
- New York Magazine 01:35March 30, 2021Raffensperger’s Support for Georgia’s Voter Suppression Law Won’t Save HimGeorgia’s secretary of state blasphemed against Trump, and that’s all that matters to his fellow Republicans.
< politics, vision 2020, election coup, donald trump, brad raffensperger, brian kemp, jody hice, david bell isle, doug collins, david perdue, vernon jones, voter suppression, voting by mail, voting rights, 2022 midterms >
- Business Insider 00:24March 29, 2021Sen. Raphael Warnock says that voting rights must pass 'no matter what'During a CNN interview, Warnock said that while passing an infrastructure bill is vital, protecting voting rights has to be a legislative priority.
< Politics, Raphael Warnock, Georgia, Voting Rights, Senate, Filibuster >
- Business Insider 12:17March 28, 2021President Joe Biden said the Justice Department is looking into a new law in Georgia restricting access to voting, which he called an 'atrocity'The sweeping new law in Georgia has been compared by Biden and others to the laws that enforced racial segregation in the South until the 1960s.
< Politics, Joe Biden, Voting Rights, Georgia voting bill, Jim Crow, News UK, UK Weekend >
- Business Insider 19:29March 27, 2021Gov. Brian Kemp signs restrictive Georgia voting bill into law in front of painting of former plantation groundsThe grounds of the Callaway Plantation, depicted in the painting, are located in Wilkes County, between Athens and Augusta in northeastern Georgia.
< Politics, brian kemp, Georgia, Elections, Voting Rights, President Joe Biden >
- Breitbart News 09:02March 27, 2021W.H. Spox: Biden Will Do What It Takes to Pass H.R. 1, With or Without FilibusterOn Friday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” White House Communications Director Kate Bedingfield said that President Joe Biden will do what it takes, with or without the filibuster, to pass voting rights legislation like H.R. 1 and H.R. 4. Co-host
< Clips, Politics, Filibuster, H.R. 1, Joe Biden, KATE BEDINGFIELD, voting rights >
- The Guardian 22:32March 26, 2021'Jim Crow in the 21st century': Biden denounces Georgia Republicans over new voting lawPresident says new law represents ‘blatant attack on the constitution’ as voting rights activists vow to keep up the fightJoe Biden lambasted a new law in Georgia that imposes sweeping new voting restrictions, calling it “un-American” and “Jim Crow in the 21st century”.He said in a statement: “Instead of celebrating the rights of all Georgians to vote or winning campaigns on the merits of their ideas, Republicans in the state instead rushed through an un-American law to deny people the right to vote. This law, like so many others being pursued by Republicans in statehouses across the country, is a blatant attack on the constitution and good conscience.” Continue reading...
< Georgia, US voting rights, US news, World news, Joe Biden, Republicans >
- New York Magazine 22:19March 26, 2021What Can Democrats Do About Georgia’s Voting-Rights Restrictions?They are already going to court, and could pass preemptive legislation in Congress. But winning control of the state in 2022 is the best solution.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, brian kemp, stacey abrams, marc elias, new georgia project, 2022 midterms, voting rights act of 1965, john lewis voting rights advancement act, voting by mail, early in-person voting, for the people act >
- Business Insider 10:01March 26, 2021Here are 6 notable changes passed as part of Georgia's highly-contested and sweeping elections billThe bill expands early voting in most counties and requires an ID number for absentee voting in place of signature verification, among other things.
< Politics, Georgia, Voting, Election administration, Voting Rights >
- New York Magazine 02:20March 26, 2021Georgia Republicans Take Revenge on Voting RightsAfter major Democratic wins, the embattled GOP passes a harsh law to claw back power.
< politics, voting rights, georgia, republicans, voting by mail, sunday voting, in-person early voting, voter id, brian kemp, brad raffensperger, general election runoffs, 2022 midterms, stacey abrams, souls to the polls, voter purges, georgia senate runoffs >