- Business Insider 23:06October 17, 2021Facebook claims it uses AI to identify and remove posts containing hate speech and violence, but the technology doesn't really work, report saysFacebook AI removes less than 5% of hate speech viewed on the social media platform, according to documents received by the Wall Street Journal.
< Tech Insider, News, Facebook, Mark Zuckberg, AI, artificial intellegence, Facebook AI, facebook whistleblower, Wall Street Journal, Hate Speech, Violence, Facebook algorithm, Algorithm, Report, Facebook employees, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:59October 17, 2021Rep. Adam Schiff says Jan. 6 committee plans to hold Steve Bannon in criminal contempt for not complying with subpoena"We're not messing around here," Schiff said on Sunday, adding that the committee will "go after anyone" who doesn't comply with subpoenas.
< Politics, News, Adam Schiff, capitol riot, January 6 committee, Doanld Trump, Steve Bannon, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 21:56October 17, 2021Tesla has started delivering its latest Model X SUV after months of delaysThe updated Model X SUV comes with a revamped interior, a facelifted front end, and a rectangular steering wheel. It starts at $100,000.
< Transportation, Tech Insider, News, Transportation, Tech, Tesla, Auto Industry, Electric Vehicles, Electric Cars, Tesla Model X, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:40October 17, 2021A car dealership CEO says he cut staff by 17%. Now employees are 'happier' and selling twice as many cars.Some large car dealerships are doing just fine without hiring back all the employees they let go in 2020, executives told The Wall Street Journal.
< Transportation, Economy, News, Transportation, Auto Industry, Economy, car dealerships, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:18October 17, 2021A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged menThe truth was revealed after the three Spanish scriptwriters walked onstage to accept the Planeta literary prize on Friday.
< International, News, Feminism, Literature, Spain, Carmen Mola, Women and men, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:31October 17, 2021Publix grocery store heiress donated $150,000 to GOP attorneys general group to promote the January 6 protestJulie Jenkins Fancelli is the daughter of the founder of the Publix grocery store chain and the top funder of the January 6 pro-Trump rally.
< News, Politics, Trump, Trump 2020, Donal Trump, President Donald Trump, former president donald trump, Jan 6, January 6 committee, January 6 riot, Capitol attack, capitol hill attack, Publix, Publix Super Markets, GOP donors, Republican Attorneys General Association, Republican Party, Political Donations, Donation, Donor, Heiress, Julie Jenkins Fancelli, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:12October 17, 2021iPhone maker Foxconn will reveal 3 electric vehicles on Monday. Here's what they'll look like.Foxconn will announce details about an upcoming electric bus, sedan, and SUV during an event Monday.
< Transportation, Tech Insider, News, Transportation, Tech, Auto Industry, Foxconn, EVs, Electric Vehicles, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:31October 17, 2021Hooters adjusts policy to make controversial new uniform optional for employees after outcry over skimpy new shorts that are 'like underwear'"We are clarifying that they have the option to choose from traditional uniforms or the new ones," a spokesperson wrote in an email to Insider.
< Retail, News, Hooters, Retail, Restaurants, TikTok, Digital Culture, News, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 16:25October 17, 2021Nearly 3 million people have signed a petition demanding that Congress issue a fourth stimulus checkThe petition shows there's a clear demand from Americans for more federal support, but it's unclear whether there will be a fourth stimulus round.
< Economy, Politics, Stimulus, stimulus check, Congress, Change.org, fourth stimulus check, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 23:08October 16, 2021Pete Buttigieg pushes back at Tucker Carlson mocking him for taking paternity leave"This is largely a consensus issue … moms and dads ought to be able to support their children including with paid family leave," Buttigieg said.
< Politics, Transportation, News, Pete Buttigieg, Tucker Carlson, Parental Leave, Paternity Leave, Childcare, LGBTQ, Department of Transportation, supply chain issues, Fox News Channel, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 21:20October 16, 2021Ransomware gangs targeted 3 different US water treatment plants this year in previously unreported attacks, according to federal agenciesRansomware is on the rise globally, and attacks on public infrastructure could put lives at risk.
< Tech Insider, News, Politics, Ransomware attack, Cybersecurity, infrastucture, Security, malware attack, Hack, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 21:14October 16, 2021After a near-record run at the top of Netflix's US Top 10 list, a new show has bumped the pop culture smash 'Squid Game'The Netflix show, which became a cultural phenomenon and the streamer's most-watched show with 111 million views, is now second on the list after "You."
< Media, Entertainment, News, Squid Game, Netfilx, top 10, South Korea, Media, Entertainment, weekend BI US, TV >
- Business Insider 19:22October 16, 2021A maskless United Airlines passenger was kicked off his flight after threatening to break someone's neckA United Airlines passenger was removed from a flight after making threats to customers and staff when asked to turn off his cell phone.
< Transportation, News, United Airlines, United, TikTok, TikTok video, Viral Video, unruly passenger, airline passenger disturbance, Threats, passenger plane, Passenger Arrests, Airline, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:56October 16, 2021Hooters employees are pushing back against new revealing uniforms that include shorts so short that they're 'like underwear'"Soooo Hooters got new panties. I mean shorts," wrote one TikTok user. "Love my job but don't love wearing undies to work," wrote another.
< Retail, News, Restaurants, Hooters, Retail, sexualization, Women's Rights, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:39October 16, 2021Desperate Afghan parents are selling their kids to pay off debt as poverty levels deepen following Taliban takeover"If life continues to be this awful, I will kill my children and myself," one Afghan woman told the Wall Street Journal.
< International, News, Afghanistan, Taliban, Taliban Takeover, Children, Poverty, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:54October 16, 2021Thousands of California hospital workers strike over 'critical staffing shortages' at nearly a third of hospitals in the stateA union of 24,000 workers in facilities across the state voted to authorize a strike if negotiations with Kaiser Permanente stall.
< Healthcare, News, coronavirus, California, Unions, Labor, Healthcare, Nurses, Hospitals, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 16:55October 16, 2021Instagram spends the majority of its $390 global advertising budget on targeting teens, according to a new reportThe new report follows revelations that Instagram's own research found the app is bad for teens' mental health.
< Tech Insider, News, Instagram, Facebook, Tech, Social Media, Teenagers, Advertising, Mental Health, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 20:19October 10, 2021'SNL' sketch on Facebook whistleblower hearing pokes fun at US senators' disconnect with social mediaThe late night comedy show's portrayal of various senators alluded to how out of touch they can be when it comes to technology.
< Entertainment, Tech Insider, Saturday Night Live, SNL, Facebook, Whistleblower, Senate hearing, Mark Zuckerberg, Entertainment, weekend BI US, Contributor 2021 >
- Business Insider 01:11October 10, 2021Here are all the Walt Disney World rides included in Disney's new premium line-skipping featureThe company announced it would be launching its new Genie+ feature, which includes lightning lanes, where you can pay to skip ride queues.
< Retail, Entertainment, News, Features, Disney World 50th Anniversary, Disney, FastPass, theme park, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:23October 9, 2021A journalist who just won the Nobel Peace Prize called Facebook 'biased against facts' and a threat to democracyFilipino journalist Maria Ressa criticized the tech giant for its approach tackling misinformation and its implications on democracy around the world.
< Tech Insider, Media, News, Facebook, Misinformation, Maria Ressa, Nobel Peace Prize, Journalism, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 20:01October 9, 2021TikTok's algorithm shows anti-vaccine videos to children as young as 9, researchers sayUsers under 13 can easily circumvent Tik Tok's age restrictions, exposing themselves to harmful COVID-19 misinformation that lives on the platform.
< Tech Insider, Healthcare, TikTok, Misinformation, Youth, algorithms, COVID, Anti-Vaxx, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 12:51October 4, 2021The 'Pandora Papers' investigation has linked the Met museum and the British Museum with suspected looted Cambodian antiquitiesAntiquities suspected to have been looted from Cambodia by the art dealer Douglas Latchford appeared in top museums, The Washington Post said.
< Finance, News, International, pandora papers, douglas latchford, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Offshore Accounts, Art, Stolen, Cambodia, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:42October 3, 2021South Dakota now rivals offshore tax havens for financial secrecy, Pandora Papers say81 of the offshore accounts detailed in the Pandora Papers are in South Dakota, making it the state in the US with the largest number of trusts.
< Finance, News, fianance, Offshore Accounts, offshore banking, pandora papers, Washington Post, South Dakota, souix falls, Tax Fraud, Taxes, Bank Account, The Guardian, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 21:14October 3, 2021Billionaires and world leaders, including Putin and King Abdullah, stashed vast amounts of money in secretive offshore systems, leaked documents findNotably, the richest people in the United States - like Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett - are not in the documents, the Post said.
< Finance, Economy, International, pandora papers, Offshore Accounts, Billionaires, weekend BI US, Finance, Tax Haven >
- Business Insider 20:37October 3, 2021A major oil spill off the coast of Southern California could be a 'major environmental disaster,' official saysThe mayor of Newport Beach caught sight of "dolphins swimming through the oil," according to Orange County Supervisor Katrina Foley.
< Energy, Economy, News, Oil Spill, California, SoCal, huntington beach, Coast Guard, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:45October 3, 2021Stephanie Grisham was irritated by Hope Hicks and accuses her of taking 'the easy way out' after leaving the Trump White House for Fox: book"In my eyes and the eyes of others who had stayed to deal with all of the craziness, Hope had taken the easy way out," the former White House press secretary said of Hicks' departure for Fox.
< Politics, Stephanie Grisham, Hope Hicks, Donald Trump, White House, white house communications director, Melania Trump, political books, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:23October 3, 2021Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes merch is gaining popularity, making fun of the 'girlboss'The former CEO of blood testing company Theranos is on trial for fraud.
< Tech Insider, Retail, News, Elizabeth Holmes, Theranos, Theranos trial, Trial, Merch, merchandise, Fans, Followers, RedBubble, Etsy, Clothing, Accessories, Meme, GIRLBOSS, Amazon, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:55October 3, 2021A Hollywood workers' union is preparing to strike, and some of your favorite TV shows and movies could be delayedThe contract standstill marks the biggest tension in Hollywood since the 2007-2008 writers' strike, which ceased production for 100 days.
< Media, Entertainment, News, Hollywood, Union, IATSE, Television, Film, Media, Streaming, Production, Entertainment, Strike, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:48October 3, 2021The FBI charged an English-speaking narrator who voiced recruitment videos for ISIS, including one showing the decapitation of James FoleyA criminal complaint says ISIS recruited 38-year-old Mohammed Khalifa to the group's media bureau because of his fluency in English.
< International, News, Isis, Justice Department, Terrorism, James Foley, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 16:49October 3, 2021Whistleblower says Facebook enabled misinformation by eliminating safeguards too soon after the 2020 election, report saysFacebook, in the meantime, is in preparation mode for the latest round of accusations against the company, calling the claims misleading, the New York Times reports.
< Tech Insider, Politics, News, Facebook, Whistleblower, 2020 election, capitol riot, Misinformation, Social Media, Trump, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 15:31October 3, 2021From celebrity entertainers to speed boat rides: the rise of the expensive pandemic weddingIn the COVID-era wedding boom, a wave of extravagant weddings is creating a windfall for wedding professionals who financially suffered during the pandemic.
< Retail, News, wedding, Weddings, Wedding flowers, Flowers, Luxury, Millionaire, Billionaire, expensive, Car, Wedding Planner, Photographer, Florist, Pandemic, Bride, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:14October 2, 2021Victoria's Secret partners with Stella McCartney to launch new mastectomy bra ahead of breast cancer awareness monthThe bra comes at a time when Victoria's Secret is moving away from model-based marketing to cater towards a more universal audience of women.
< Retail, Healthcare, News, Bra, Bra shopping, Victoria's Sceret, Stella McCartney, breast, Breast Cancer, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Cancer, Cancer care, Cancer prevention, Cancer screenings, mastectomy, Rebrand, Women, Women's Apparel, Retail, Women's Health, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 20:19October 2, 2021Biden slams 'irresponsible' Republican effort to block an increase to the debt limit, potentially pushing the US to an unprecedented and catastrophic defaultBiden said on Saturday that "everybody is frustrated" following a week of setbacks and squabbles over the debt limit and his economic agenda.
< Economy, Politics, Biden, White House, president, infrasrtucture, social spending, Washington DC, Democrats, Republicans, Fillibuster, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:32October 2, 2021Mike Pence makes return trip to Iowa in advance of potential 2024 presidential bidThe upcoming trip will mark the former vice president's second outing to the key Midwestern early presidential nominating state.
< Politics, Mike Pence, Donald Trump, Republican Party, 2024 election, Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, presidential campaign, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:52October 2, 2021New York mandate increased COVID-19 vaccine rate of healthcare workersThe rate of vaccination rose twice as much for hospital workers as for adults overall in the state, according to data from the CDC.
< Politics, Healthcare, News, COVID, COVID-19, coronavirus, delta variant, covid vaccine, covid vaccines, New York, Healthcare, Vaccine, vaccination, vaccine mandate, vaccine rates, New York City, CDC, Centers for Disease Control, Nurse, nurse shortage, Healthcare Workers, Hospital, Staff Shortage, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 15:52October 2, 2021Donald Trump's lawyers are begging a federal judge in Florida to force Twitter to restore his accountThe lawyers argue that Trump's suspension is unfair because Twitter has allowed the Taliban to post freely on the social media platform.
< Tech Insider, News, Politics, Donald Trump, Twitter, Florida, capitol riot, weekend BI US, Social Media >
- Business Insider 14:52October 2, 2021Activists and healthcare professionals are trying to stomp out anti-vaxx info online - but social media algorithms are working against themAlgorithms are 'separating audiences' as moderators deal with disinformation, unsafe medical practices, and illegal COVID sales on social media.
< Tech Insider, Healthcare, Tik Tok, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Social Media, Misinformation, COVID, Center for Countering Digital Hate, Team Halo, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 17:57September 29, 2021I canceled my Amazon Prime subscription right as the pandemic lockdowns began. Nearly 2 years later, I don't miss it at all.Do you really need those socks tomorrow instead of a few days from now? Are you even watching Amazon Prime Video?
< Tech Insider, Life, Culture, Amazon, Amazon Prime, Subscriptions, Delivery, Jeff Bezos, Andy Jassy, Amazon Prime Video, Prime Video, COVID, coronavirus, Pandemic, Lockdowns, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 00:32September 27, 2021The US government requests - and is granted - the most user data from tech companies compared to countries like the UK, France, and Japan: reportThe US, Germany, France, the UK, and Japan lead in the number of data requests it sends to tech companies like Facebook and Twitter.
< Tech Insider, US Government and Politics, International, Data Privacy, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Transparency, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 21:49September 26, 2021Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he'll hire Border Patrol agents who are 'at risk' of losing their positions under Biden administrationPresident Biden said that the agents who charged at migrants as they attempted to cross the Rio Grande in Del Rio, Texas, would face repercussions.
< Politics, News, Greg Abbott, President Joe Biden, US Border Patrol, US-Mexico border, Haiti, migrants, Title 42, Texas, Immigration, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 20:10September 26, 2021New York won't extend unemployment benefits to healthcare workers fired over COVID-19 vaccine mandateThe state's vaccine mandate for healthcare workers goes into effect on Monday, potentially causing staffing shortages at some healthcare facilities as thousands cannot go to work.
< Politics, Healthcare, News, Hospital, Health Care, Nurse, nurse shortage, Healthcare Workers, National Guard, State of Emergency, New York, COVID, coronaivrus, COVID-19, Vaccine, vaccination, vaccine mandates, New York City, governor, Governor Kathy Hochul, kathy hochul, Doctors, Pandemic, labor shortage, Labor crisis, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:47September 26, 2021Pfizer CEO predicts 'we will able to come back to normal life' within a year even with new variants of the coronavirusThe US Food and Drug Administration last week authorized Pfizer boosters for people 65 years and older and others at high risk of severe COVID-19,
< Healthcare, News, coroanvirus, Pfizer, Moderna, Pandemic, COVID-19, Vaccinations, Immunity, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:41September 26, 2021Netflix true-crime documentary dives into cryptic death of crypto millionaire Gerald CottenQuadrigaCX CEO Gerald Cotten died under strange circumstances in 2018, causing $190 million worth of his clients' funds to go missing.
< Tech Insider, Media, News, Bitcoin, Netflix, True Crime, Quadrigacx, Gerald Cotten, Documentary, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:37September 26, 2021The US and 23 other countries enacted laws to try and control content on the internet, study findsInternet freedom has declined for the past 11 years globally, according to the report from Freedom House.
< Politics, Tech Insider, Internet, internet regulation, Facebook, Google, Twitter, Global Trends, Lawsuits, Freedom House, Big Tech, Law, Bill, Texas, Internet Censorship, Internet Privacy, Data, extremism, Freedom Of Speech, First Amendment, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 14:23September 26, 2021With workers and employers feeling ghosted, it's clear that the hiring process is not working. Here's how companies can improve.People on both sides of the table are frustrated. Nobel Prize-winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman explains how companies can do better in the hiring process.
< Retail, Careers, News, Ghosting, Careers, labor shortage, Labor Market, Job Interviews, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:32September 25, 2021Walmart does away with layaway, which didn't carry any fees, and announces new buy now, pay later program that will charge customers interestAfter making layaway a part of holiday shopping since 2006, Walmart introduces Affrim, a buy-now, pay later program that will charge users interest on most purchases.
< Retail, News, Finance, Walmart, Affirm, Loans, Lending, Layaway, Holiday Shopping, Holiday Season, holiday shopping season, Credit Score, Gifts, buy-now pay-later, Gift Giving, Retail, Stores, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 22:22September 25, 2021Netflix's TUDUM convention gives fans a sneak peek at teasers for new seasons of Stranger Things, OzarkThe global fan convention gave audiences a preview of more than 100 US and international Netflix projects in the coming year.
< Media, Tech Insider, Entertainment, Netflix, TUDUM, Convention, Entertainment, Media, International, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 19:54September 25, 2021Cannabis industry jobs are on the rise, fueled by the Great ResignationThe number of employees in the US legal marijuana sector surpass those who are paramedics, aircraft pilots, or electrical engineers.
< Cannabis, Retail, Employees, Marijuana, Cannabis, Workers, great resignation, Retail, Pandemic, Workforce, Dispensary, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 18:34September 25, 2021A Proud Boys member and FBI informant was texting his handler during the January 6 Capitol riot, report saysThe informant was texting the FBI updates as the pro-Trump mob entered the Capitol, but his handler didn't appear to understand it was breached.
< Politics, News, capitol riot, Proud Boys, Trump, 2020 Presidential Election, FBI, extremists, weekend BI US >
- Business Insider 16:06September 25, 2021Georgia GOP Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan says he's 'still furious' that local pro-Trump lawmakers sought 'to invalidate their own constituents' votes': book"Outsiders, and unfortunately Georgia officials, too, tried to deceive my statewide constituents, take their money, and scrap their votes," he said.
< Politics, News, Geoff Duncan, Donald Trump, Republican Party, election law, US Supreme Court, 10th amendment, Voting, weekend BI US >